Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Live chat

cofourie
1: Seeker

Can somone let me know when Live Chat will be available??? I've tried the last view days but always seem to be offline.

I've requested bu iphone 6 plus to be unlocked and received an email that told me the phone has been unlocked - however, if I put in the new (Vodacom sim) the message I get would suggest the phone has not been unlocked - can anyone help?

10 REPLIES 10

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The locking and unlocking process for an iPhone is 100% dictated by Apple. Unlike other phones, Apple products don't require a code to unlock them. The lock/unlock status is maintained on Apple servers and all networks have to send the unlock request to Apple.

Once that request has been sent to Apple on your behalf the networks have no visibility into the unlock process. Apple will take its own sweet time about unlocking your phone and you probably won't hear anything from them. Its a trial and error situation until it works. Your iPhone has to connect to the Apple servers to have the status changed and allow it to accept a sim card from another network. That has been known to take up to three weeks.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks. It is confusing if Vodafone sends an email confirming that the phone has been unlocked!

Will keep on trying

jeffkinn

@cofourie wrote:

Thanks. It is confusing if Vodafone sends an email confirming that the phone has been unlocked!

Will keep on trying

It is very confusing and that point has been made here many times. Given the number of iPhone users there must be on the network Vodafone should be able to send an email that makes the process clear.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@jeffkinn I have also raised the misleading email regarding iPhones being unlocked at least five times in the last 12 months.

All it requires when it is an iPhone that is being unlocked is for the email to say that Vodafone have sent the unlock instructions to Apple and Apple can take up to 21 days to process the unlock.

It would save a great deal of misunderstandings which result in customers seeking help from these forums.

jeffkinn

@kids It's mystifying why they don't make a change to the wording.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids

@cofourie wrote:

Will keep on trying

THe matter of the confusing email had been raised many times on these forums but in their wisdom Vodafone have decided not to clarify how the process works.

The email from Vodafone is in fact just confirmation that they have accepted the unlock request and it has been sent to Apple to action.

After that you are in the hands of the God's ( or Apple as they prefer to be known) as to when the unlock is actually actioned, but you can expect anything up to 21 days and longer at times for it to be done.

jeffkinn

@cofourie wrote:

- however, if I put in the new (Vodacom sim) the message I get would suggest the phone has not been unlocked - can anyone help?

Vodacom? This is a forum for Vodafone UK only.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

63johnw
Hi, how long have you had the phone? You have to make 3 monthly payments before the phone can be unlocked.

63johnw
@jeffkin I think the phone is locked to Vodafone but the OP wants to use vodacom sim when unlocked.