Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving to Australia

AliceHansonBray
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

On Thursday I am moving abroad to Australia to study for a year. I think I only have a few months left on my contract, and so I dont mind paying these off. However, I would ideally like to keep my iphone 5c and the number whilst in Australia. 

So:

1) How can I find out how many months I have left on my contract / pay them off?

2) Can I keep my iphone 5c handset in Australia and use a sim from an Australian provider? How?

3) Can I keep my number in Australia? How?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
One thing to bear in mind: if you do cancel, you can request it go onto payg, but it will require 30days notice, at the end of which your new payg sim with your cancelled-contract phone number on it will be sitting in your hallway. Which is nifty, but you will need to top it up every 180 days (or use it every 90, or some combo of the two), which may be tricky when it's not in your possession.

If someone you know and trust has access, can do that and get them to post on the payg sim to you in Australia. You could then use your number in Australia, albeit on UK roaming rates, but might be worth it even to receive incoming texts from friends back home.

And if you are wanting to unlock the handset, form is at: www.vodafone.co.UK/networkunlockcode

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If you have the My Vodafone app on your phone and look in the Plan section it tell you there when the renewal date is (as opposed to the upgrade date). The early termination fee is the monthly cost times the number of month left minus the VAT and a 2% discount. Customer services on 191 will be able to give you that number.

You'll need to complete the unlock form to be able to use your phone in Australia as it will be locked to the Vodafone UK network unless you bought it sim and contract free directly from Apple

You cannot take the number with you - that is a UK number only.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thank you so much! x:cathappy:

GojuSuzi
One thing to bear in mind: if you do cancel, you can request it go onto payg, but it will require 30days notice, at the end of which your new payg sim with your cancelled-contract phone number on it will be sitting in your hallway. Which is nifty, but you will need to top it up every 180 days (or use it every 90, or some combo of the two), which may be tricky when it's not in your possession.

If someone you know and trust has access, can do that and get them to post on the payg sim to you in Australia. You could then use your number in Australia, albeit on UK roaming rates, but might be worth it even to receive incoming texts from friends back home.

And if you are wanting to unlock the handset, form is at: www.vodafone.co.UK/networkunlockcode