Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My Tips for buying a 2nd Hand iPhone.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi everyone. 

I recently purchased a 2nd hand iPhone 5 and would like to share my tips on what to check before purchasing / soon after purchasing. 

• Check its Serial number in Check Your Service and Support Coverage.
  • If you feel it's warranted check it's Status in Checkmend U.K.
  • Check no Apple I.D is logged into the iPhones iCloud and iTunes sections in Settings. If there is you won't be able remove it to log yours in and Activation Lock will stop any new SIM card being used in it. You won't be able to download Apps or back up to iCloud. The Original Owner has to use their login passwords to sign out of iCloud and use Erase All Content and Settings found in Settings > General > Reset. If the original owner is known they can still be asked to log in Online into iCloud and remotely wipe it. 
  • Use Check Activation Lock Status.
  • Check the IMEI Number matches from the one on the back of the iPhone to the one listed in Settings >About>IMEI.
  • Check Apple Watch has been Unpaired Steps here.
  • Take your own Sim Card with you to insert it so you can check  that the iPhone shows the Networks name in the Status Bar. If it displays No Service please wait a short period to see if it changes to Searching. If it does not then eject the Sim Card and wipe it and start again. If no change then the phone could have been IMEI blocked. Use Checkmend to check its status or reject the iPhone and look to another. Establish wether it's locked to one particular Network or open to all Networks. A shop should have several activated Network Sim Cards. Ask them to try different network SIM cards in it to check its open to all Networks. 
  • Fire up Wifi Connection ASAP to ensure it connects ok. 
  • Check the rear and front facing cameras to check there Ok and take pictures Ok. 
  • Check Settings>General >About to double check its capacity. 
  • iPhone's allow the creation of 3 free iCloud Accounts on an iPhone, so if the iPhone displays a Pop-Up saying the amount has been reached then you'll need to activate any 'New' Apple I.D on another iPhone / iPad and then log it into the used iPhone.
  • Create any new Apple I.D if applicable before setting out to buy an iPhone. 
  • If buying from a Shop check any warranty terms the shop applies to the phone themselves. 
  • Ask for the iPhone to be put on charge in the shop to ensure it charges ok. If it does not then ask for another plug / power cord to be tried. Look in the charging port to ensure no lint / dust is in there. 
  • Thoroughly check over the iPhone for scratches , dints or cracks. The latter two could indicate the iPhone has been dropped.
  •  Look at the iPhone screen to check for any water damage. 
  • Apple Link : What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  • Make / recieve a call to test the mic. 
  • Insert Earphones / EarPods to ensure the jack port works as it should. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

0 REPLIES 0