Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG 3G on ipad 2

rzla
2: Seeker

Hi,

Got my ipad 2 yesterday and am trying to get on the 3g network.  I've got a vodafone PAYG SIM in the device but i can't seem to get online with it.  I've set the APN to SMART and the ipad have a good signal with the 3G indicator displaying.  When attempting to browse via safari i receive an error ' could not activate mobile data network'.

Aniy ideas?

16 REPLIES 16

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi rzla,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

From the sound of it, your APN information is incorrect, which is why you're unable to connect to the internet. In order to connect via a PAYG SIM, please use the following settings:

APN: pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username:wap

Password:wap

Give that a go and let me know how you get on :). Also, if you'd like to leave me any feedback regarding how I've handled your query, then please click here: eForum Survey.

George

eForum Team

bock90

Hi, I am having the same problems

I cannot connect my Ipad 2 to to Vodafones 3G network

My data sim has plenty of credit and my ipad is unlocked. (I even see the Vodafone 3G signal bar all the time)

I have read news that this is a fault in Apples new ios4.3.1

Vodafone: can you please confirm this? None of the APN settings are working for me

Hi bock90

Welcome to the eForum :Laughing_Face: it is always good to see new faces on here.

As you mention you are using a data SIM, the settings are different

If you have a new version where the data is a 30 day expiry the settings are:

APN: ppbundle.internet

Username:web

Password:web

If you have an older version where the data is non expiry it is:

APN: pp.internet

Username:web

Password:web

Please let me know how you get on :Laughing_Face:

Martin

eForum Team

Hi Martin

Thanks for your help

Unfortunately, the settings you gave me did NOT help

I have tried a variety of other APN settings as well (your colleague George provided a different setting in the answer above this thread)

Is this an Apple Issue?

At the moment, I cannot take my ipad out the home because of this issue with the APN setting.

My PAYG vodafone data sim is definitely valid and has £15 credit on it

Is there a different APN setting for ipad 2?

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bock90

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems with this.

Those settings are definitely correct and are the only ones that we have for our pay as you go SIMs. I think something else maybe happening here if this still isn't working.

So that we can take a closer look at the SIM itself and how it is reacting with the network I need to have access to your account. To do this I'm going to send you an email to the email address that you have registered with. All you need to do is hit reply and fill in all of the information it asks for. We'll then get back to you as soon as we possibly can.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hi

I am having the same problem, Did this get sorted ?

Steve

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pix16

Can you tell us what settings you are currently using?

Are you a pay as you go customer?

Have you tried all the settings listed above?

Please let me know and we’ll be happy to help you further.

Thanks

Wayne

Hi everybody,

I got my ipad 2 today, inserted a pay and go vodafone micro sim and having the same issue.

When I try to connect it says:

Could not activate mobile data network
You are not subscribed to a mobile data service

There is no credit on the sim yet as I was planning on topping it up once the page came up. Is this the reason behind it? And if so how can I top it up?

Also I've tried all the afore mentioned settings

Clare

Hi nixonclare and welcome to the eForum

The fact that you have no credit will definitely be the problem.

Give it another try when you have credit on and let me know how you get on.

Also, here’s some information on topping up

Thanks

Wayne