Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PDP Authentication failure in USA iPhone 6

minglis
3: Seeker

My data works fine in the UK , having recently changed iphone 5 to 6 I find my data is now working with ATT in the USA and I am getting the error PDP authentication failure. I have done various things advised including updating my vodafone profile but nothing works. I would call 191 but that does not work from here - can anyone in Vodafone read this and if needed reset my account if that is what it takes

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

I have asked for this post to be merged with your previous post in regards to the same subject. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

minglis

Well here is an update but not a solution , first of all the overseas phone number on the vodafone website did not work in California from an ATT network so I resorted to chat. I had three one hour chats none of which fiexed my problem

I recently swapped iphone 5 to 6 and all was well until then on every trip

Chat 1 - Reset my Wordtraveller option off and on , said I would get a text confirming this in 30 mins. 3 hours later nothing was working so did another chat

Chat 2  - Call centre was useless and I gave up , hour 4 and I got texts and data started working yippee

1 hour later chat stops working

Chat 3 - Call centre seemed more competent and said you can not have all 3 options on at once - Worldtraveller , Euro traveller and Data traveller rest of world - odd as I got to all 3 regions - he switched off second two options and said al would be well 

4 hours later I have a text telling me of changes and..... nothing works on data

I fly home

Today I get a more competent person who referred to highest level technical people saying its a frequency problem and every time I go to the USA I need to call them - now I dont buy this I have travelled to the USA for 30 years and the last 10 with Vodafone - my data plan has always worked with no calls 

I have been told by problem is fixed and ill get a credit

I have no view of what was wrong and frankly dont think Vodafone do as they can not explain , I am next in the USA in 3 months and if my data plan does not work then will be leaving Vodafone 

As an aside the website is currently not fit for purpose - there are many dead links on it and no easy way to get technical support when you are overseas and in trouble , all roads lead to a menue with 5 levels and call centres at the end who cant help 

Frustrated long term user

PS To add insult to injury one of my Suresignals seems to have stopped working also !

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@minglis

I’m sorry about the information you’ve been given by the customer service teams on chat/ calls.

This is a known issue and is not Vodafone specific.  Customers are experiencing is on several networks and there are multiple threads on the Apple forums.

Apple have given the below as a possible solution.

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings, turn airplane mode on, wait ten seconds, and then turn off again.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Ensure that your software is up to date:
    1. Check for a Carrier Settings Update. Tap Settings > General > About.
    2. Check for an iOS Software Update. Tap Settings > General > Software Update. 
      Note:
       Some updates may require a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
  5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try toggling it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
  6. Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still does not, contact your carrier to report the issue.
  7. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  8. Restore the iPhone as new.
  9. Contact your carrier to:
    1. Verify that the iPhone is properly set up on the account with the appropriate, current data plan.
    2. Verify that there are no account-related blocks.

We’re limited as to what we can do to help regarding this issue, you may have to contact Apple for support for further assistance.

It is not true that this is not vodafone specific.  I have 4 lines with Vodafone all on Iphones and on one of them I have had the same problem - PDP authentication failure - whenever I try to access roaming data services. This has been going on for 8 months in various countries and has affected the same SIM in two different handsets.  All my other Iphones work for data roaming and only stop working when I put the affected SIM into the handsets - so it is clearly an account level problem at Vodafone's end.

This has nothing to do with Apple.  My problem was triggered when i went over a data roaming threshold and a data block was applied that has since never been possible to remove, despite numerous attempts to refresh my settings and account.  Other network operators have had the same problem - but EE in particular has accepted it was a network level problem on their side.  Nice try Vodafone but the problem is yours and your service is awful.  I too will be leaving Vodafone.

We recommend that you follow the steps, on the previous post. 

However our Live help will be able to double check that there's no data restrictions on your account. 

Thanks. 

mattjwilliams71
I have done many times Amanda both with your tech team on the phone and with live help. Nothing vodafone have tried has worked in over 8 months.