Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Second year warranty not honoured

tr4c3yhenderson
4: Newbie
My 5c stopped working following the downloading of IOS8. It was covered under the second year warranty I was told and sent away. It was returned to store unfixed saying it was out of the 1st year warranty. It was returned to be repaired again but again the same thing happened. The store offered to send it away again but said it was likely to take 3 weeks due to the Xmas period. I asks for a new phone or a termination of contract. I wrote to vodafone and the shop manager said he would ask his regional manager if I could terminate the contract. I heard nothing. I chased for hours on the phone, vodafone were not interested. I therefore took out another phone with another provider. Vodafone, despite the appalling service, are still chasing me for the remainder of the contract money. Surely they broke the terms and conditions before I did? The phone should have been repaired but after two months I still had an unusable phone.
36 REPLIES 36

tr4c3yhenderson
Vodafone have never engaged with me to resolve the issue. I have spent hours calling and visited the store three times which is 9 miles away. There comes a time when enough is enough. They never offered compensation or apologised. They were not interested.
Let's hope the ombudsman is more sympathetic.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Are you in possession of the iPhone now.

If so have you tried a restore yourself via iTunes ?

What is being displayed on the iPhone screen ?

Does "Crashed Completely " mean you get nothing on the screen ? Or is anything displayed.

Have you tried a soft reset ?

On the iPhone hold down the Sleep/Wake Button and Home button together until the Apple Logo shows. Then On seeing this Apple Logo release both buttons ,and the iPhone will reset , which has been known to clear most glitches.

I understand your at conflict with Vodaphone but I'm just trying to help with the source of the issue.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

tr4c3yhenderson
Thanks both, I appreciate you are trying to help.

With regards to the phone it does not switch on at all. The Genius Bar were unable to suggest anything other than returning it to the store.

I appreciate the contract covers the airtime, but I was unable to use the airtime fully due to having to use an ancient phone. Also, this does not or should not allow vodafone to treat people badly and still tie you in. Like I said, the store manager agreed I had been very poorly treated so why won't the customer services team acknowledge it and engage?
The store manager also said there was much they could learn from my case as their customer services dept is currently deluged with these sorts of issues.
Sad that a company I have been with for ten years has gone downhill so badly. I have had no issues until now.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@tr4c3yhenderson wrote:

With regards to the phone it does not switch on at all.

Try this: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

tr4c3yhenderson
"Vodafone would have probably tried to contact you on the number you held with the contract about the amount owed. If you did not respond, the damage could have already been done."

They have my new number, they also had chance to conte me in the three months I had the issue. They promised to call me back, promised to escalate the issue to management to get them to make a decision and I heard absolutely nothing.

AnnS

@tr4c3yhenderson

The only number Vodafone would have tried to contact you on is the number you held with them on your contract.  That would have been the number which would have been in default.

When you enter into a mobile phone contract, its for airtime only and its a legal binding commitment whick you have to pay regardless of whether you even use the SIM card.

I might be worth checking with Experian or one of the other credit reference agencies, Vodafone are very quick to place a default.

tr4c3yhenderson
It's been passed to a debt management company already. I've warned them I'm in touch with the ombudsman so there's little pressure currently.

I also have an issue with the misspelling of an iPhone 5c / 4G contract sold to me over the phone which I now understand we would never have for 4G signal on.
Vodafone are seriously going downhill.

AnnS

@tr4c3yhenderson

This would be outside the scope of the Ombudsman.  The Ombudsman can only arbitrate where there is an account dispute, e.g. disputed charges on receipt of a deadlock letter from Vodafone. 

In your case, it is a phone misfunction which Vodafone even offered to repair but, with the holiday period you refused.

Whilst any account is in default, due to you being in the wrong, the Ombudsman will not intervene.

There is no reason for you being unable to use the 4G network on a iphone 5c but 4G is dependant on availability.

If you are able to get a signal, whether its 4G, 3G or GSM, Vodafone are still fullfilling their part of the contract and providing a service.

BandOfBrothers
Hi

You may find the debt company may be arranging for collection of the debt in spite of any Omsbudsman involvement , if they do take up your case.

I think you'll find lots of good information in Vodaphone's Terms and Conditions surrounding their Network services etc if you've not already taken some time to go through them. Starting point http://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-this-site/terms-and-conditions/pay-monthly-airtime-conditions/index....

All Networks have areas of non 4g coverage as well as non or low signal for 3G coverage too. Fringe coverage and not spots exist for all the networks.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

tr4c3yhenderson
Apple Genius Bar confirmed the 5C could not pick up 4G signal so that is miss-selling. There are many complaints about these contracts saying there is small print in the adverts. Due to the contract being sold over the phone I trusted vodafone that we would pick up a signal.

I did refuse to send my phone away for a third time, how much poor service are you supposed to ensure?

The ombudsman has taken on the case. I came on here to see if there was any additional advice anyone could offer to support me with regards to their potential breach of contract.