Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stolen 5s

Kimajesty
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
So the unthinkable happened. Never lost a phone before but my new 5s is now a distant memory. What are my options? Can I be allowed a new contract by any chance or a new phone fir a discounted price ? I am allowed an upgrade in October but heed to know what I can do till then.,
4 REPLIES 4

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Have you called Vodafone and advised them that the phone has been lost / stolen?  If not you need to do so immediately, so that the phone and SIM card can be blocked.  You are responsible for all usage until it is reported. 

Your best bet would be to claim on your insurance - that will be the cheapest way to get a replacement.  If you don't have insurance, it may be an idea to see if your household insurance will cover your handset.  Obviously be aware that it will push up your premiums.

The other option is to buy out the time remaining remaining in your contract to bring your upgrade date forward.  You can also take out a new contract to run alongside your current one.  You'll find the prices here.  Another option would be to buy the handset of your choice and use it with your existing contract. 

PWIAC

Thank you. I have already phoned up.

I have no insurance and my new house and contents insurance starts this Friday (Sod's law). How can I bring the date forward? I would rather not take out another contract.

drey_p

Phew! That's good that the phone and SIM are already blocked!  Yeah, that is typical!  Do you not have insurance with your bank account - some accounts do give you a range of extras?

In order to bring your upgrade date forward, you need to buy out the time remaining in the contract.  The Early Termination Fee you'll have to pay is the number of months of line rental remaining in your contract, without VAT, and less a 2% rebate. For an exact figure, call 191 from any Vodafone handset.  

One of the eForum Team will also be able to help you get this figure but will take a little while to reply as they deal with posts in time order. 

If the Early Termination Fee figure is too high for you, you could always get a more basic PAYG phone to use with your contract until you can upgrade.  You can get them as cheap as about £20 for a basic one.

PWIAC

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Kimajesty,

I'm sorry to hear about your iPhone 5s.

If you're not covered elsewhere and would like to chat about your options, then I've sent instructions on how to reach my team here. 

Cheers, Ben