cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Switching SIM card - cannot call or hear !

gemjay04
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

ive just had a new phone sent (same iPhone 5c) on an insurance job. I've switched the sim and hooked the phone up to the laptop to update iCloud etc, however now I seem to be able to call, but cannot hear any ringer or the person speaking, it's the same when someone calls me. I've done all the major resets on the phone. I've read somewhere that I may have to set the new phone to a new device in iTunes before it may work, but does that mean I lose all my current contacts etc? Help! 

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Restoring and choosing to set the device up as a new device is usually required if the iOS is glitching and want to troubleshoot.

All your information is in iCloud so you would have to use your back up to put your contacts etc back onto the iPhone. 

Can you try your Sim Card in another phone as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card that may be at fault. 

What Resets have you tried may I ask ?

Im not being funny but is the Volume turned up on the iPhone using the rocker switch. Also is there a case or screen shield affixed that maybe hindering the iPhone. 

Do you have a local  Store. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I restored my iPhone last night (took 4hours!), and unfortunately it still hasn't solved the problem. The speaker works, but when I call out it takes the phone a long time to change to the dailed phone number screen and then the seconds start counting as if I've connected to the phone call (but I can't hear anything and no one can hear me). I've checked Siri and he can't hear me but he eventually (after much waiting too) says he can't understand (which I can hear). 

What else can I do? Vodafone text acknowledging I had switched handsets with the same sim and settings were up to date too, 

help! 

AnnS

@gemjay04

I would be inclined to ask the insurer to replace the phone.

If you have the same problem for all your calls, it more than likely a phone fault.

It may be worth just trying in a different area and see if you still have the same problem.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @gemjay04

Thank you for trying out some troubleshooting tips. 

My last part was about if you have a local  store. 

You could take the iPhone to them and they would run a diagnostic, if the Genius Bar is busy they'd typically arrange to text you to return - normally the same day or alternatively book a https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/ appointment.   

Current Phone  >

Unfortunately my nearest Apple Store is an hour on a plane away :Sad_face:

BandOfBrothers

@gemjay04 wrote:

Unfortunately my nearest Apple Store is an hour on a plane away :Sad_face:

Wow. 

Are you able to try a friends , family members, colleagues  Vodafone sim card in the iPhone just to see if the issues still remain?

If it does or that's not practical then I believe you have carried out all reasonable troubleshooting tips and agree you need refer back to the point of origin where you acquired the iPhone. 

Current Phone  >