cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Travelling in Japan - unlocking phone (iPhone 6 / iOS 10.3.2)

Gaarge1984
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am travelling in Japan, and I have bought a temporary data-only SIM card ("Japan Travel SIM provided by IIJmio").  I will be here for one month.

The SIM does not work in my phone.  I am require to update my APN settings but I cannot do this -- they are supposed to be accessible from Settings>Mobile data options.  But there is simply nothing there.  I believe it is because my phone is not unlocked.

I sent a request to Vodafone to unlock my phone.  But the email reply I received pointed out that they cannot supply me with the code because I have had the handset for less than 30 days.

I am in  a real fix here.  The fees for using data in Japan are expensive -- GBP5/day, and I will be here for one month, and I have already spent money on this SIM card.

Please can someone from Vodafone advise:

1. Is it possible to overlook the 30 day requirement this one time and allow me to unlock my phone?  It should be pointed out that I have been a customer with Vodafone for 7 years.

2. Alternatively, would it be possible to grant me a one-off deal for data usage while I'm in Japan?

3. Could there be another issue which is preventing me from using the SIM?

If any more details are needed, please let me know.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Gaarge1984

I'm a customer like you but I can help with some advice. 

1. Vodafone wouldn't overlook the criteria for unlocking as this 30 day process is to allow the iPhones imei / serial number to log onto their systems so in turn they then can request Apple to release the lock. On Vodafone Payg the sim needs to have been used at least 30 days in the phone making calls and sending texts etc. On Pay Monthly x3 need to have been paid on time. As your currently in Japan this Avenue wouldn't be available to you until you return. Sometimes the advice is to send the iPhone back to the Uk to someone you know so they can use a Vodafone SIM card in it for the set criteria timescales and then send it back to the owner abroad. But taking into account the shipping timescale and the sometimes approx 20-30 days for Apple to do their bit on unlocking it would depend on how long your going to be in Japan. To note the iPhone is the only model that can be unlocked while it's not actually in the Uk. 
  2. Vodafone can't change your contract allowances as a one off.  Help link on roaming and costs are in > Vodafone and costs and travelling-abroad. Just key in your destination and your contract information and it'll advise you what Vodafone charge. 
  3. The roaming bars within your MyVodafone need to be turned off. Once this occurs the iPhone should automatically search out a network. You'd only need to look at changing Apn settings if you were to use a local SIM card if they didn't automatically update themselves after inserting a local SIM card. The Apn settings in the iPhone are not locked out or hidden even if the iPhone is locked to a network. Tap Settings.In the first section tap Mobile Data/Cellular Data.Tap Mobile Data Network/Cellular Data Network. Or you can find your APN settings in Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

To add > 

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone process is to email a person to confirm it's been requested after accepting the online unlocking unlock request. 
 Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
 Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
 From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Dear BandofBrothers,

Thank you for your excellent reply.  I can see how unlocking the phone in my instance is impossible, if this is controlled by Apple.  Regarding the roaming fees, however, I believe they can arrange something, as this is within their control, and in the past I have negotiated with Vodafone.  For example, last year I went to Ukraine and the roaming fees they charged were exorbitant -- GBP200 for a four day trip.  In this case, they credited my account for most of the charges as they agreed they were excessive.  I have checked the fees for roaming in Japan and they are, as I say in my original post, GBP5/day.  For a 28 day trip, this will be GBP140.  Given that I don't want the calls and texts, just data, and given that the bars in place are essentially quite arbitrary, I would hope a deal can be arranged.  There is no good reason why I shouldn't be able to use another SIM in my phone, especially as I own it outright.

It should be noted that the contract I have in place now with Vodafone is a SIM-only contract -- it is only by chance that the replacement phone I bought last month was a Vodafone handset and not fully unlocked.  If I'd known this would happen, I would certainly have made a point of getting an unlocked handset.

jeffkinn

There is only one way to get that phone unlocked and that's by getting a PAYG sim when you are back in the UK and using it in the phone for 30 days. After that they will process the unlock.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png