Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trying to activate Personal Hotspot on my iPhone 4

cornishboy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi There Could someone please explain why I cannot set up my personal hotspot on my iPhone 4? everytime i attempt to set it up it directs me to a support page on Vodafone website. I am on a SIM only deal which includes 500mb data. Please can someone respond ASAP?
117 REPLIES 117

Hi samastrike,

From what you have said it sounds like the service is not active on your account which is why you can’t set it up on the phone.

Sow e can get this sorted for you we will need access to your account, I have sent you a quick PM with details on how to get in touch with our team directly.

Please follow the instructions and we will be able to add the function to your account for you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

Received a call from a chap on Vodafone who informed me that I would be able to use my personal hotspot "soon" still haven't managed to set this up. I am getting frustrated now that this service is not available on my iPhone. lease can someone get this working for me,

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your post here.

I can confirm that the tethering is now available on a SIM Only price plan.

So we can get this added for you I have sent you a quick PM with detail on how to get this added by our team directly, please follow these instructions and one of the team will be able to get everything sorted for you.

James

I have four Vodafone UK SIM-only plans (four users in the family) and recently upgraded to a newly advertised tariff which apparently includes 500MB data bundle as part of the package.

On SIM-Free iPhone4S devices, the personal hotspot does not activate. Experiencing the same problem as others have described, attempting to activate it takes you to a Vodafone UK web page talking about tethering.

On other devices such as Android, or standalone MiFi dongles, the SIM works perfectly as expected. So why not with iPhone4S devices?

Spoke to Customer Services who says that "tethering" is not included and therefore blocked on iPhone4S devices. In the advertising, it does not say anywhere about tethering not being included, in fact the advertising goes on about mobile use and mentions laptops in the documentation!

This is poor show on the part of Vodafone UK Customer Services who wanted to charge me an extra 15 pounds per SIM, almost doubling the monthly price, if Personal Hotspot is to be made active when accessed from an iPhone4S device!!!

I am hoping the Customer Services staff are simply unaware that Vodafone is including the data in the SIM-Only plans, but I cannot convince them!

Can somebody from Vodafone please explain to me why Vodafone (UK) Customer Services is trying to extort an extra 15 pounds per user just to activate a feature that is included on the hardware, supported on non-Apple devices free of charge, but subject to this extra cost if the SIM-Only user puts his SIM temporarily in an iPhone4S hoping to use Personal Hotspot?

In case it helps to know, all devices mentioned are official SIM-free devices for use worldwide with any compatible SIM.

So nobody from Vodafone can answer this post, not even Tech Team member James who is likely to be familiar with the topic having recently looked into the issue for another user on this thread?

Hi deepmeister,

My apologies for the delay in responding to your post however the eForum works on a first come first serve basis.

When it comes to the SIM Only price plans tethering for the iPhone is included as long as it is one of the new SIM Only Price plans.

This has been cascaded to all of our frontline customer service teams and this should now be the information that they are giving to our customers.

So that we can check the account for you I have sent you a quick PM with details of how to get in touch with our team directly, please follow the instructions on the PM and we will be able to see exactly what plan you are on and what it includes.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

Hi James,

Thanks for arranging for Jenny to call me. She handled everything perfectly and left us with the working solution.

Transpires that although data had been enabled, the non-standard APN required for iPhone Personal Hotspot had not been enabled on the account for our SIMs, hence access was not granted. Jenny made the changes to the accounts and it all works perfectly!

Thanks again to you and Jenny,

D

PS: Feedback sent!

I'm having a similar problem, I've had my account over 2 years have 3 seperate lines.Now i've bought a iphone and  to be able to teether my internet (which i've been doind on my HTC wildfire for over a year) i must pay an extra £21 a month with no increase in minutes or texts., a 500mb extra internet is included but not wanted. Tim

Hey lxi-timmay-lxi,

Thanks for your post about tethering on your iPhone.

That price doesn't sound right! Are you already on an iPhone price plan?

I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi,

I am on a Pay as you Go SIM (bought today) and have been informed by customer services that the facility to tether with my iPhone 4 is not available on Pay as you Go, and that I must be on a price plan with Vodafone.  Is this correct?

Regards

Gerwyn