Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trying to activate Personal Hotspot on my iPhone 4

cornishboy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi There Could someone please explain why I cannot set up my personal hotspot on my iPhone 4? everytime i attempt to set it up it directs me to a support page on Vodafone website. I am on a SIM only deal which includes 500mb data. Please can someone respond ASAP?
117 REPLIES 117

KD
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi pauly69

We'll need to check your account too. I've sent you a PM so that we can do this. You can follow Si's instructions to find your PM inbox.

Thanks

K

Hi,

Is it possible for my iphone 3gs to be able to become a wifi hotspot?

I have the option in the settings but like others it refers me to the voda website, can someone tell me if it can be activated free of charge.

I hav a data plan think its 500mb per month.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Becky

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi bexnstu,

As you can see from the Apple support pages, the iPhone 3GS cannot be turned into a Wi-Fi hotspot, although it can be used when connected by USB cable or Bluetooth.

To use the USB or Bluetooth tethering options, you'd also need an iPhone plan.

- If it's one of the newer plans, then the tethering facility would be enabled and the tethering data would come out of the allowance.

- With the older iPhone plans, you'd need to get tethering enabled and purchase a £5 for 500MB tethering pack.

If you do want to tether using these methods, just follow the directions in the PM I've provided and we'll help make sure everything’s in place for you.

You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Dave

If I've helped at all today, why not leave me a little feedback? :smileyhappy:

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem to the above - recently upgrade to iphone 4s but when I've tried to set up the hotspot on my handset I get the link to the website.  Contacted your helpdesk and according to one of your staff there was "nothing that he could do on his end", so recommended I check my account settings.  Can someone be of some actual help here? I'm on a pay monthly deal with 500mb mobile data allowance.

Thanks

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi acolytejim,

I'll be happy to have one of our technical advisors check your APN settings for you to see if tethering is provisioned for your line. Could you email my team directly using the instructions I've sent via Private Message? You can find your PM inbox here. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben 

Hi Ben, There's no PM in my inbox - please advise?

Hi acolytejim

I have resent the private message now can you take a look and let me know if this still doesn’t show in your inbox?

Thanks

Matthew

I thing you should activate the PM inbox by defalt for everyone on the eForum.

Would you take this into consideration?

RetiredTom
Hi TudorC,

It is activated by default, it's just sometimes we find it's disabled.

Thanks,

Tom

Ben,

Hoping you can help - I've so far spoken to 4 deptartments at Vodafone call centre, 1 Retail Store and 1 Web query and nobody seems to be able to tell me how to simply move from my current sim only 30 day deal to a similar plan that has tethering enabled?

I can't believe its impossible but I'm now starting to wonder?  Anything your team can do to assist would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John