Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ugraded from iphone 4s to 5s

hbramdt
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 

I have recently upgraded to the iphone 5s, and therefore also received  a new nano sim. I am unsure what to do -- i have transferred all my old stuff into my new 5s via iCloud however not sure how to stop my old phone sim working and get my new one to 'take over' - it is saying no service. ( not sure how to activate it) ( sorry not the most tecnical!). I am also keen to keep my old phone number. 

Thanks so much 

5 REPLIES 5

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

SIM cards are shipped in an inactive state for security reasons. You'll have to activate the new SIM card in order for your number to move across - it won't happen by itself.  Sign into My Vodafone and click on the activate new SIM link.  Your number should move across within about 24 hours. 

PWIAC

I made the same upgrade with Vodafone through Phones 4 U at the start of this week.  The lady in the store took the steps to carry out the sim switch.  Nothing happened, even after 24 hours.

So I filled in the online sim switch form.  24 hours later, still nothing.  I did it again.  Nothing.

I contacted Vodafone via the live chat yesterday.  The man asked me to do a soft reboot and try it again, which I did.  Still nothing.

Please can someone sort this for me?  I'm fed up of having a new phone I can't use and having to carry around 2 phones on the off chance that the number switches over.  Phones 4 U say it's a Vodafone issue as all they would do is fill in the same form that I have completed 3 times.

Thanks.

drey_p

@jp400 wrote:

I made the same upgrade with Vodafone through Phones 4 U at the start of this week.  The lady in the store took the steps to carry out the sim switch.  Nothing happened, even after 24 hours.

So I filled in the online sim switch form.  24 hours later, still nothing.  I did it again.  Nothing.

I contacted Vodafone via the live chat yesterday.  The man asked me to do a soft reboot and try it again, which I did.  Still nothing.

Please can someone sort this for me?  I'm fed up of having a new phone I can't use and having to carry around 2 phones on the off chance that the number switches over.  Phones 4 U say it's a Vodafone issue as all they would do is fill in the same form that I have completed 3 times.

Thanks.

Right, you mention an upgrade and then you mention having to carry around 2 phones.  Were you definitely upgraded?  The reason I ask is the P4U tend to selll new contracts and not do upgrades because they get more commission that way. 

PWIAC

Yes I am sure I was upgraded.  I was not going to sit around in the phone shop and wait for my number to switch over (a good move considering I'd have been there all week!), hence taking my old one away with me until my old SIM stops working and the new nano SIM has my number attached.  In any case I watched her put the details on the Phones 4 U computer, it flash up with the approval for the upgrade from Vodafone and I've spoken to a Vodafone person (when I eventually picked the right number sequence to actually speak to someone!) who confirmed the upgrade. 

I have now received a message from Vodafone saying they cannot complete the SIM swap because the details I provided them with are wrong, but since I triple checked them each of the 3 times I've tried to do it before I pressed submit this seems unlikely.

Sigh. I thought these things were supposed to be easy these days...

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jp400,

Don’t worry, we can get this sorted. :Smiling:

Take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page. 

Thanks,

Jenny