Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to switch to 4G on iphone 5s

hill_walker
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have an iphone 5s with a SIM-only contract for 3G.

On 16/12/14 I upgraded to a 4G contract but I am not getting 4G on my iphone 5s, even though I live in a 4G area and have enabled it on the iphone. Despite 2 calls to CS, I am still not getting 4G on my iphone despite them saying that they would pass the matter to the "escalations team".

The other day, I got a letter confirming that I am on a new contract and that I could cancel within 14 days. I may very well do this as I am getting fed up with the whole situation.

7 REPLIES 7

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi, is there anyone in your house also on Vodafone that can access 4G? Just to confirm it is there/not down for any reason?

There is no-one in my household with a 4G device. However, other people in my village can get Vodafone 4G.

I work in London during the week and I don't get 4G there either!

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
I've noticed with iPhones they seem to default to the wap.vodafone.co.uk APN, which doesn't play nice with 4G. Go into Settings>Mobile>MobileDataNetwork and see what the APN is; if it's as above, change to the following:
APN = internet
User = web
Password = web
Then restart the phone and give it a go.

Tried changing the APN settings as suggested for Mobile data and turned the iphone off and on again. Didn't make any difference.

I also noticed the APN settings for LTE Setup were blank, so I set those to be the same as for Mobile data and turned the iphone off and on again. Still didn't make any difference.

GojuSuzi
Mkay, dial *#105# like calling a phone number, it'll throw up a bunch of gibberish but amidst it there'll be 2 or 3 sets of date-time stamps. If any of them is more than 2 hours old, go into Settings>Carrier and switch off automatic, choose a non-Vodafone network from the list, then when that fails choose Vodafone, then restart the phone again. Run the *#105# to make sure it's updated. That just ensures that it has synched with the network after you made those changes (usually would happen with restarting the phone, and should happen naturally every couple if hours, but sometimes SIMs get lazy).

Yipee, I now have 4G!

Turns out the problem was at Vodafone's end. I went into a Vodafone shop and the manager there sorted it all out in a couple of minutes. Shame the call centre staff were so rubbish.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @hill_walker

I'm glad to see the store manager was able to sort it. Apologies for any mistakes in the meantime.

Cheers,

Ben