Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

Unexplained WAP charges on my bill

2: Seeker Bronze

Hi there - I'm wondering if someone could contact me asap to resolve this.

Last month I received a text half way though my monthly plan to say I had almost exceeded my data allowance for the month, despite my app and Vodafone staff reassuring me this wasn't the case when I called to confirm straight away. I was then charged for apparently exceeding my data allowance by over 600mb. After several conversations with Vodafone about this last week they eventually agreed to waiver the charges. I've since received a text today to advise that 8 days into this month's plan I only have 50mb left. Again, I've called Vodafone immediately, who reassure me that I actually have 1.1GB and a note has been placed on my file for this month.

I've just checked my bill usage for the recent period and have discovered huge amounts of data being used at random times of the day and night, under the description "WAP". I have absolutely no idea what this relates to as most of the times I can see straight away I wasn't even using my phone at all (during work hours or being asleep). Vodafone's answer on the several times I've tried to resolve the question of the huge amount of data being lost, is that unless I can "prove" I've not used it, then they'll just keep charging me. But can offer no solution as to why it's happening.

Please can someone explain what WAP is and what it relates to? As I'm pretty sure it isn't me using the data up and it's extremely concerning! How do I turn WAP off, if such a thing is possible?

View more options
21 REPLIES
16: Advanced member Gold
WAP basically refers to data used by your device. The reason that you'll see the data charges on your bill at random times is because all the usage through out the day is added up and goes onto your bill as one entry instead of having hundreds of entries for each and every time your handset connects to the Internet.

I would recommend that you turn off mobile data on your handset. That will prevent any further usage.

Now, what type of phone do you have? It's not an iPhone by any chance?

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button! Smiley Wink

View more options
Thanks for advice. Yes it's an iphone. Most of my apps are set to wifi only, mobile data switched off. This is the advice I tend to get from Vodafone which - while helpful - doesn't get to the bottom of why it's suddenly happening when every other previous month of my contract I don't come anywhere near my data limit and my usage habits and settings haven't changed!
View more options
The reason I asked what WAP referred to is because I also have "mobile internet" itemised on my bill and assumed this referred to data usage. Can anyone explain the difference between WAP and "mobile internet" - both of which are listed?
View more options

Just because you aren't using your phone any differently from normal, doesn't mean that you phone is not using data more than normal.  Remember that your handset can use up data without you even being near it. Also, an iPhone has a feature whereby if WiFi disconnects for even a split second, it will carry on using mobile data in the background even though WiFi is showing as connected.

I'd recommend downloading a data monitoring app such as Onavo and using it to keep an idea on what is using up your data. 

As for the difference, as a consumer we're best off to regard WAP and data as simply "data".  I also have both showing on my bill and haven't ever worked out why.  I am sure there is some technical explanation as to why one shows up and not the other.

View more options
Administrator

Hi @MrSue

Thanks @drey_p for the really helpful information.

If you’d still like us to look into this, please contact our Live help team.

Thanks

Michelle

View more options
Thanks Michelle / Drey_P.

I've installed Onavo to monitor my usage a few days ago. So far it doesn't seem to be picking up any unusual or excessive activity and my Vodafone app is still showing I have a reasonable amount of data left for this month (around 1GB remaining) I was advised this can be out of date by a few days so have been keeping an eye on it since I received the text on Monday telling me I only had 50mb left. It's now Thursday and this doesn't appear to be the case so suggests to me that in fact Vodafone's billing system seems to be incorrectly recording huge amounts of data usage against my account. I will wait to see what my bill amount comes to for this month and whether I've been overcharged again.
View more options
Just realised it's Friday today not Thursday! So in fact it's been 5 days since I was told via text I had 50mb left and my app is still showing me as having around 1GB left. So like I say, suggests the billing system is wrong.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@MrSue 

Did you get in touch via the link given? We're they able to help?

Thanks,

Matt

View more options
Hi Matt - I've been in touch a few times previously via that link before I posted in the forum. No one has been able to help.
I'm waiting to see whether I will be overcharged again on this month's bill, as my data usage is still showing that I have over 900MB left for this period. Then I'll take it from there I guess.
Thanks
View more options

Hi @MrSue ,

While it won't be as immediate as Live help, I've sent some instructions to you here for how to get in touch via email.

Thanks,

Ben

View more options
Bit of an irrelevance, but WAP refers to the restricted access via 'micro browsers' that many apps use to access the internet for updates or background connectivity, and Data refers to GPRS access or the full unrestricted access we expect when we actively open Chrome or Safari or whatnot.
View more options
1: Seeker

I am having the same problem with my daughters phone! It has been sent off for repair but it is still using huge amounts of data! Her account doesn't show this though but Vodafone have taken £107 out of her account when it should be £38! We spent 3 hours on the phone and in the Vodafone shop two weeks ago and we are not getting anywhere! We are both at the end of our tethers and feel like we're banging our heads against a brick wall as nobody is giving us any answers! Like you, she is not using her phone any differently than usual and it is an i phone. Will keep on at Vodafone until we get some answers and will definately never use them again!

View more options

You may wish to take a look a this post as it will give you a bit more insight into what could be happening and how to deal with the issue.

View more options

I have also been suddenly charged a lot more than I have known before. £12 extra this month, when i have never come near to using all before and my usage has suddenly shot up agian this week. Who knows why. it never has before and i have not used more.

My data shows spikes of large chunks of data being used. I have downloaded the onavo app to see what is going on. One lot of data being taken was in times when I was definitly not using my phone. I wonder what monitoring there is on the data usage there is going on. We have no idea what is being put on our phones by some types of applications and is sucking off data for who knows what reason. It would appear the only ones to benefit from this is the companies, and they have no reason to want to stop it I guess. 

Did you every 

View more options

@carolsimmons888

Have you taken a look at your bill in details on My Vodafone? It'll give you a breakdown of what you've used and any extra charges you've incurred.

If you then need feel this is incorrect, the Live Chat team can look into this for you.

View more options

Dear Carly

If you read my post properly, you can see that I am quoting the information from my bill details - in other words, yes I have, and that is my annoyance. I have spent some time looking at this and other's on this forum seem to have done too. 

It is showing some spikes of huge amounts being used at times when I am not using my phone. I have switched everything off that could be using it. The only people that will benefit from this is vodaphone, from the extra charges they will be recieving from countless people who have no control over this. I have not ruled out the strong possibilty that vodaphone's billing system is not working properly rather than a deliberate creaming off? 

I think my next port of call will have to be the ombudsman to ask them who is watching the watchers. 

View more options

@carolsimmons888

As you've already checked your bill and the charges appear to be incorrect to you, please use the link previously provided to discuss this with the Live Chat team.

View more options
Can somebody help with a little advice please ? My monthly itemized bill for data use normally says date, time, amount used and a description (wap.vodafone.com) but last 2 months the description is different. It says (pp.vodafone.com) can you explain why please. Thanks
View more options

@FAIRY You can view a full itemisation of your bill when checking your My Vodafone account online

This isn't available through the My Vodafone app.

View more options