Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock phone

urien
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I was a Vodafone customer for several years but recently switched to another network. I don't understand phones at all and when my new phone arrived I put my old Vodafone simcard in it. The phone wouldn't work so I rang my new network who told me that I'd accidentally locked my phone to Vodafone and that I would need to ask them to give me a code to unlock it.

I rang Vodafone and explained exactly what had happened and was told that I needed to request the code on their website and that I would get the code within 2 working days. Just before 5pm on the second day I contacted Vodafone again to say that I hadn't received my code and was assured that it would arrive by midnight. The next day I contacted Vodafone again and was told that the phone was now unlocked, I tested my new sim card and the phone was still locked so the support person said they'd escalate the issue. A couple of days later I still hadn't heard anything so I rang Vodafone and after a long wait was told that they couldn't unlock the phone, my new network had to. I asked to speak with the person's supervisor and after another long wait was told that I had to buy a pay as you go voucher to get my phone fixed.

I logged a complaint with Vodafone about the fact that they had wasted my time and given me bad advice and asking them to give me a definitive answer as to what was going on. I also asked my new network what to do. My new network again said they couldn't fix the problem, only Vodafone could. When I got in touch with Vodafone again they repeated that I have to buy a pay as you go card. Having read their website this seems to be to prove my identity, but as I have been a Vodafone customer for several years I don't understand why I need to prove this again and I don't think I should have to pay extra to fix the problem. Is there any way of getting Vodafone to fix this without paying them?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @urien

Unfortunately your not the first person to try out a SIM card in an iPhone which has then locked out to that network.

The only iPhones that do not lock out initially to a network are units bought directly from Apple. 

Your current Network wouldn't be able to assist as the iPhones serial number / imei isn't on their database I assume. 

Vodafone can only request Apple to unlock an iPhone if it's showing on their systems. 

The ways to do this are > 

Payg Route > Use a Vodafone Payg SIM card in the iPhone for a minimum of 30 days making calls , texts , using data for those 30 days (You are not required to register information about your new Payg account. ), but will mean a minimum Top-Up, and then fill out the Vodafone Unlocking Form. Unlocking is free. 

Pay Monthly Route > x3 bills need to have been paid on time. 

More info here > 

How-do-I-unlock-my-Vodafone-device-if-I-m-not-a-Vodafone-customer.

How-do-I-unlock-my-phone-or-tablet-to-use-on-another-network.

Side Note > 

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your online unlock request. 
 Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
 Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
 From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks; still think it's a rip off that I have to pay them to get my phone back after years of being a customer. I won't be coming back to Vodafone now so I reckon it's cost them more than they'll get from extorting the fee from me.