You are here:

iOS

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Re: iOS 5 - Visual Voicemail

Hi.

This is all news to me - I have been an O2 iPhone customer since the original iPhone launch in 2007.

I just signed up for the new iPhone 4s.

No where did it inform me that features that are built into the phone are not useable - namely Visual Voicemail and Merge Calls - two features I use all the time.

I am very disappointed to hear Vodaphone do not support this feature - it is a back end carrier feature and you should be supporting it.

Any apps in the app store will not carry out anything like visual voice mail from the phone's number. This feature needs carrier support - as mentioned on stage by Steve Jobs in 2007.

Come on - get a grip here... this is 2011.

I think my stay with vodaphone will be short...

Message 12 of 118 (29,122 Views)

Whilst on the subject - if your subsiduary in another coutnry can implement it in 2009 - why can't you here in the UK?

Very disappointed at this half-baked support for the most basic of features iPhone users should expect from ther carrier - heck we pay enough as it is..

Message 13 of 118 (29,121 Views)
Topics: 385
Ideas: 13
Solutions: 499

stevemcd wrote:

Whilst on the subject - if your subsiduary in another coutnry can implement it in 2009 - why can't you here in the UK?

Very disappointed at this half-baked support for the most basic of features iPhone users should expect from ther carrier - heck we pay enough as it is..

Since this feature is unique to iPhone and since the iPhone will count as a minority of users on the Vodafone network it would therefore not make financial sense to implement something on a few would use. The only reason O2 support it is because it would have been a condition of their exclusivity.

Message 14 of 118 (29,069 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II

Why should Vodafone support it????????

They have stated, as have other providers, they don't see the value in adding this service as it isn't in enough demand.

Just because a phone manufacturer has the ability to do something does no way emphasize the necessity for a network to offer the ability to use this function. It has been well known for a while now that O2 are the only network that offer this. No where on any other providers website is there a mention of Visual Voice-mail, and like anything, if you are unsure, it is on you to check you are getting what you are expecting.

There is nothing hidden here, it is quite simple, it is not advertised so therefore is not available.

Message 15 of 118 (29,049 Views)
Rank 20: Instructor IV

Nabs makes an excellent point.

Consider where the iPhone was when it came over to the UK. O2 had a carrier exclusive deal for a year? Two years?

Apple simply would not have allowed their product to launch on a network who couldn't support one of its features.

Probably to the point where Apple may have even funded O2 to upgrade their systems.

So I'm probably with VF on this one. Which is rare, to be honest!

I've seen the Visual Voicemail feature on o2 and yeah it's quite good but I can live without it.
Message 16 of 118 (29,017 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster

Guys and Ladies,

I just had a throught since the iphone 3gs is now free on £26 per month,  the take up might be a bit better,  so you never know we might get it still  but have to wait for at least 9 months before we know that.

Talos

Message 18 of 118 (28,625 Views)

funny thing is VF voicemail platform is pretty much the best in business and supports visual vm but VF is not keen to turn the switch on ... i see economics in play here
Message 19 of 118 (28,546 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

It's the same with Orange. Orange France offer vvm but Orange UK don't.

I was told a few years ago that it cost O2 a lot to introduce VVM for iPhone, and that they didn't do this by choice. In other words Apple made it a condition of their 2 year exclusive deal. I guess it was the same for Orange France.
Message 20 of 118 (28,265 Views)

[ Edited ]

I recently switched from O2 to vodafone and I must say Visual VoiceMail is a feature I really miss.  I hate the vodafone voicemail, having to navigate annoying menus just so I can delete a message.  So pointless.

I had no idea I would be losing that function as I took it for granted it would just be there.

I'd definitely switch back to O2 for this alone.

Message 47 of 118 (24,329 Views)

I just switched from O2 to Vodaphone so that I could get a home femto cell.  We have poor coverage from all the carriers where I live.

Visual Voicemail doesn't work AARRRGGGGHHHH.  

This is the most used telephony feature on my phone.  I use it more than text, more than making calls!!  As a long time iPhone user I simply didn't think a fundamental feature like this would not be available.  At least i only signed up for a 12 month contract.  Despite getting better voice coverage thanks to teh femto cell i am getting worse coverage out and about.  I was in Wells high street yesterday and had no data coverage at all.  I will be switching back to O2 if Vodaphone can't offer better iPhone support by the end of my contract.

Message 50 of 118 (24,287 Views)
Topics: 204
Solutions: 624

While I cetainly appreciate the benefits of visual voicemail, all of which I get from On Voicefeed, I am intrigued by the notion that it can be the most important feature of the phone.You would rather have VV than be able to make and receive calls at home using a Sure Signal?

You use VV more than text or making calls? That means that all you do is wait for people to call you, don't answer and then use VV to listen to their message? 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 51 of 118 (24,275 Views)

Visual Voicemail - any news?

Trawling through the archives I see that Visual Voicemail is not supported by Vodafone. Is anything likely to change w.r.t. this feature?

Message 52 of 118 (23,966 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

Re: Visual Voicemail - any news?

Hey, Vodafone have no intention in releasing Visual Voicemail at the moment, the demand for it is just not that high and the cost of creating such a service would be high. O2 are the only network that support it, bearing it mind they were the first network to support the iPhone in the UK so they had time to build such a service. You can download other apps like Hullomail to get a similar service. Thanks again, Ant
Hope I helped Smiley Happy

Welcome to Vodafone!
Message 53 of 118 (23,959 Views)

Re: Visual Voicemail

I think it's important to point out that it's possible to offer visual voicemail on many smartphones. Based on a quick search, AT&T in the US offers visual voicemail for Blackberries, HTC and Samsung phones (Galaxy Note, etc). Verizon lists a whole range of devices that are compatible with visual voicemail on their website, including phones from Blackberry, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung and the Sony Ericsson Xperia (search for Verizon vvm compatible devices). The iPhone may be one of the only phones with visual voicemail built in, but if an operator enables it, many other phones would be able to use visual voicemail as well.

It's not acceptable for an operator to claim 'it's not worth upgrading a system that can only be used by one phone'. The US operators have demonstrated that VVM can be rolled out to Android and BB phones as well.

Message 54 of 118 (23,795 Views)

The points you make are very good but I would still not swap the UK mobile networks for the American ones. People seem to have the impression that America leads the way technologically and it it isn't the case. In the UK and Europe we have always been a long way ahead of the US. We had been using digitial networks for years when the Americas we still rooted to analgoue. We do not pay to receive calls - they do. Their market was heavily fragmented leading to high roaming costs if you left your local neighbourhood. Only AT&Ts offers the Iphone on GSM and they have only started to entertain the concept of unlocking phones in the last two weeks. If I had to rank visual voicemail against all of those other things, I think it would come last.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 55 of 118 (23,779 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Well I finally gave up any hope of Vodafone providing VVM and went teh HulloMail route.

Frankly I am surprised by how good it is and certainly eases the 'step back into the 90's' issue I had wen moving from O2 with VVM  to Vodafone and its frankly antiquated and painful old voicemail solution.

Releived to have found a workable solution.

Robin

Message 56 of 118 (23,680 Views)

CTurner80 wrote:

It's not acceptable for an operator to claim 'it's not worth upgrading a system that can only be used by one phone'. The US operators have demonstrated that VVM can be rolled out to Android and BB phones as well.

Out of the box it's only the iPhone that supports it.

I believe the networks in the states have created apps similiar to hullomail to allow this, check the market i believe AT&T T-Mo and Verizons ar all there.

Also worth notige Verizon charge $3 a month for the service and AT&T customers can only use it free on a 4G tariff.

Message 57 of 118 (23,676 Views)

Try Libon Voicefeed - although the premium option that unlocks a lot of good features isn't free

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 58 of 118 (23,667 Views)

Re: No Visual Voicemail? Really??

[ Edited ]
I just switched from O2 to Vodafone and yes I miss the visual voicemail and the convenience of listening to messages I want to rather than having to skip by the ones I don't. The force is strong with you Vodafone, I'm pleased I switched, but would be over the moon if we can all have VVM. There's even a whole thread here asking you Smiley Happy
Message 59 of 118 (23,647 Views)

Re: No Visual Voicemail? Really??

SouthRapid,

The only reaons O2 support VVM is because Apple made them.

For Vodafone to upgrade to VVM would involove big changes to the way their system works and would definatly not come cheap meaning the costs would be passed onto those users who want the feature. 

Vodafone have confirmed on several occasions they are not looking at implmementing VVM anytime in the forseeable future.

Message 60 of 118 (23,640 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up