You are here:

iOS

Ask a question:
Community Champion (Retired)

Re: Visual Voicemail

As the question of VVM has been going on for years I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Vodafone to introduce it. Smiley Happy

As jeffkin has pointed out there are apps out there that do a better job of it and the obvious lack of interest in the subject on these forums for so many months indicates that the majority of people are happy with the alternatives,

Message 81 of 118 (20,206 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

With the recent revelations on phone hacking I'd rather avoid 3rd parties and they're own security exposures. But given I've since moved to EE with their support of both Visual Voicemail and HD Voice as value added inclusives, it's a shame Vodafone don't offer extras like this.

Message 82 of 118 (20,191 Views)
Topics: 7
Solutions: 0

I've just left EE for Vodafone.

It would be good to see VVM implemented for iOS devices; I've used a handful of third party apps but they don't do it for me I'm afraid.

Message 83 of 118 (20,076 Views)
Community Champion (Retired)

With the massive investment that Vodafone are making in upgrading network they are not likely to invest in VVM, years of people asking for it has not changed their stance that they have no plans to introduce it in the foreseeable future.
Message 84 of 118 (20,053 Views)

I agree, o2 have the advantage on this very differential feature - especially for the business community. I made the mistake when i retruned from the USA to join vodafone for 2 year contract only to find found out it was not supported. all networks provide it in the USA. My agreement ends in Jan 15, and then I will head over to o2 - to be honest that one feature for me will make the decision - regardless of a few ££ in any price delta. VF you should at least offer it as a paid for service option - to not offer it, leave some of us with no choice.

Message 85 of 118 (18,003 Views)
Topics: 204
Solutions: 624

wicko wrote:

I agree, o2 have the advantage on this very differential feature - especially for the business community. I made the mistake when i retruned from the USA to join vodafone for 2 year contract only to find found out it was not supported. all networks provide it in the USA. My agreement ends in Jan 15, and then I will head over to o2 - to be honest that one feature for me will make the decision - regardless of a few ££ in any price delta. VF you should at least offer it as a paid for service option - to not offer it, leave some of us with no choice.

You do have a choice. There are visual voicemail apps - I use Hullomail and it works extremely well and fully replaces the network's voicemail service. It also emails messages to me and allows me to create individual greetings for different contacts. Do the network VV services allow you to do all of that?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 86 of 118 (17,992 Views)

The argument that there's 3rd party apps available is void. What about security implications etc. Vodafone should be providing as a service not expecting users to compromise their security by linking in 3rd party apps.
What next, don't need SMS as you can get WhatsApp?

Message 87 of 118 (17,988 Views)

youngyy wrote:

The argument that there's 3rd party apps available is void. What about security implications etc. Vodafone should be providing as a service not expecting users to compromise their security by linking in 3rd party apps.
What next, don't need SMS as you can get WhatsApp?

I disagree but that's fine. What do you think compromises your security over and above a network?

And yes, SMS is on it's way out. The networks are introducing something called Rich Communication Services to stop people using whatsapp/BBM etc. The generic name for this service is Joyn and it's now part of the official GSM standards.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 88 of 118 (17,982 Views)

Good point, I did actually give Hullomail a trial. Its a reasonable alternative and as you say does have some wider features, however didn't think it was quite so elegant. 

Message 89 of 118 (17,972 Views)

Does EE now provide VVM now as standard? I thought I heard that they might be doing it. 

Message 90 of 118 (17,971 Views)

Yes EE provide as standard using iOS feature, no need to use 3rd party app and enter security PINs into 3rd party apps - especially given recent phone 'hacking' headlines.
Funny then how they're developing technology to block WhatsApp to force use of SMS, yet justify lack of VVM by pointing to 3rd party. Double standards

Message 91 of 118 (17,966 Views)

No double standards in anyway. Where did you hear that anyone is trying to block whatsapp? That isn't happening. What is taking place is networks developing an alternative to whatsapp/imessage etc trying to keep their customers within  the Vodafone stable of products.

What's wrong with entering pin numbers into 3rd party app? 

In case, there's any doubt, I'm a customer just like you with no connection to vodafone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 92 of 118 (17,954 Views)

You said "The networks are introducing something called Rich Communication Services to stop people using whatsapp/BBM etc"

What about the integrity of the 3rd party? If their systems are compromised it's yet another exposure of your personal information. What's so wrong with utilising standard features baked into iOS directly through the network provider whom you have a contract with? Who are Hullomail and what are they doing with my info?
A company size of Vodafone has ISO standards etc for data integrity, if compromised it would be headline news, if Hullomail had data breach it wouldn't even make tech sites. You may be happy putting PINs into 3rd parties but that's your own risk which others shouldn't be forced to do.

Message 93 of 118 (17,950 Views)

When I said stop I meant in as stopping them from using whatsapp etc as Vodafone has it's own product that does the same thing. 

Do you think that iOS is so safe? Are you using iMessage? Do you know what Apple is doing with your data? Have you not read about the recent breaches of iCloud security?

Hullomail is a UK company and therefore subject to UK legislation. I'm personally happy using their services as much as I am a faceless behemoth in Cupertino who have proved that they cannot keep my data safe.

And for the avoidance of doubt of course I'd like Vodafone to offer VV as standard but it's absence wouldn't be enough to make me move networks.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 94 of 118 (17,946 Views)

"I'd like Vodafone to offer VV as standard but it's absence wouldn't be enough to make me move networks."

I agree, alone it wouldn't be enough for me either, but it was a contributing factor.

Message 95 of 118 (17,940 Views)

Re: Visual Voicemail ..... still not implemented

B19JAD, I'm not sure you could ever say that the iPhone is not fit for the intended purpose.

If the purpose of the phone is to make calls, send texts, browse the internet, receive emails and receive voicemail then it certainly does fit those purposes.

Visual Voicemail is not a purpose. It is a feature. Without that feature it is still possible to receive your voicemail therefore all intended purposes of the iPhone are still catered for.

In the example you mentioned above, Amazon would be required by law to give a refund as they, as the seller, advertised it with that feature. If that feature is removed then it is more than reasonable to expect Amazon to provide a refund.

At no point has Vodafone ever advertised that they support the feature, so they would be in absolutely no way responsible for that feature not being supported.

You could argue that Vodafone should advertise that they don't support this feature, but what company does advertise what they don't support?

I can't make toast in my kettle, but I'm not about to complain to Kenwood because they didn't tell me that before I bought it.

I know the above is a terribly old post but you misunderstand the legal definition of ‘fit for purpose’.

The not-being-able-to-make-toast-in-a-kettle argument is an interesting one.  It is not one I would use in court! 

I have just bought an iPhone 6 on a 24 month Vodafone contract and had no idea that there was no visual voicemail on certain networks. I have no cooling off period because I bought it in store. However I am a lawyer and have insisted on a refund because it is not fit for purpose. I have made a formal complaint. If I do not receive a prompt refund then I will take it to court. I will take out a contract with O2, the network I have only just left.

Arguments that VVM does not matter and that you can use apps instead miss the point.   VVM is important for me. If it isn’t for you, that is fine.  

I do not ask Vodafone to enable VVM - I just vote with my feet.

Message 96 of 118 (17,465 Views)

[ Edited ]

'Visual Voicemail is not a purpose. It is a feature. Without that feature it is still possible to receive your voicemail therefore all intended purposes of the iPhone are still catered for....

...You could argue that Vodafone should advertise that they don't support this feature, but what company does advertise what they don't support?

I can't make toast in my kettle, but I'm not about to complain to Kenwood because they didn't tell me that before I bought it.'

A better analogy would be "the auto power off feature does not work if you plug the kettle in in certain areas of the country, including yours, but we don't tell you that at the point of sale.  And, anyway, you can use a kettle without the auto power off feature, so quit complaining".

Not a great argument!

Message 97 of 118 (17,464 Views)

Even store purchases have a 14 day cooling off period.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 98 of 118 (17,452 Views)

[ Edited ]
Jeffkinn

Thanks for your reply. It could have saved me a lot of aggravation.

The store told me they have no cooling of period for phones with Vodafone as the service provider. They do for O2.

Due to your post, I have just checked their website. Sadly, what the store told me is correct. So I have to take the more awkward route of arguing my legal rights.
Message 99 of 118 (17,436 Views)

[ Edited ]
I assume from that you bought at a third party dealer like carphone warehouse. Their lack of a cooling off period is one of the reasons why I'd always deal directly with the network. In store purchases from Vodafone carry the same cooling off period as online orders. You should also be aware that dealers are principals and not agents and any grievance you have is with them and not Vodafone. If you try and cancel a valid contract without paying the associated termination penalty you will be in breach of contract, default on a valid debt and the associated ramifications for your credit rating will head in your direction.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 100 of 118 (17,414 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up