Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone 3G suffering due to 4G Roll out

CAM1
4: Newbie

I dont want to upgrade to 4G just get 3G which i have a contract with Vodafone with.  Are they in breach of contract? 

Replaced names with Tags but taken from transcript of Live Chat. 

<me> : I was promised back last December by vodafone that they where taking on 02 masts to help with coverage and this would improve early 2014. It hasnt. As for the last 4 to 5 weeks as vodafone has rolled out 4g i am getting less 3g coverage
<Customer Service Operator> : We have joined O2 masts to expand our coverage, however the reason the 3G may have decreased is so that the can impliment the 4G. As like I say 4G will be the new signal as its much stronger and faster then 2G and 3G.

21 REPLIES 21

catean
10: Established
10: Established

Don't forget that 4G is a data only signal and cannot be used for voice calls.

CAM1
Thanks Catean. It's data I was referring too.

Jordo__
13: Advanced Member
I'll be honest, CAM1, I have had the same issue. There was a problem with 3G in my area, which I reported to Vodafone who got on it straight away and it slightly improved. 4G was them starting to be implemented, and there was a vast drop in 3G service for a period of time. Looks like we're getting back to a bit of normality now though, services coming back and to be fair, the 3G is probably stronger in my house now than what it was before all the issues started. Just can't wait for the final 4G roll-out now.

The Vodafone's 3G coverage is very poor (and 4G is non existent) in the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland. We've had enough of waiting so are switching to Three or EE.

Thanks for the response graham72.  The fustration I have is that 3G is signal is suffering due to the 4G roll out.  Have first hand experience of it. 

I too will be switching to another provider, have recieved my PAC code and will gladly pay up my contract to leave when the Note 4 is launched. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

You can keep a look out for any planned coverage in your area here.

Thanks,

Gemma

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
The agent is half right, but the important bit is what s/he left unsaid: as they work on mast to prep them for 4G, the 3G service will be temporarily affected. It sounds like over the previous month, they've been poking at your local mast(s) to get them up to code, especially if 4G has been a relatively recent thing in your area. As said, it's a temporary thing, and your 3G should go back to at least how it was, but most likely will improve once all the tweaks are twunk.

CAM1
Thanks Gemma but don't see how this helps. I am in areas of coverage as I used to get 3g but now don't. My wife is standing beside me and is getting 4g. So coverage is fine just not for 3g customers who are suffering due to 4g roll out.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi CAM1, 

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Kay

CAM1
Thanks Kay but Have decided to go else where after 8 years with vodafone over this.

Please see quote in original post which backs up what I'm seeing.