Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone wont repair broken iphone!

nhuston
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

The screenn went on my iphone 4, the phone still worked, received calls and messages, synced ok etc, just couldnt see the screen! Took it to Vodafone, after 2 and a half weeks they eventually told me that they wouldnt repair it as they think its water damaged! Its never been near water, and its only 3 months old so this is just a fob off!!! To make matters worse they said that it would cost £150 tp repair - and this was not the cost of the repair, but the fact that different phones come in different price brackets, so had it been a less expensive phone, then the cost would be £65 - its only £150 as its an iphone! Not content with charging me £120 for the phone and £35 every month for 2 years - Vodafone just turn their back when it breaks! Ive been a Vodafone customer for 10 years but this is the last!

24 REPLIES 24

Amzy
12: Established

Hi,

Vodafone have no reason to make your life hell - its in there best interest to get as many handsets repaired as possible. If the phone has gone away for a repair its most likely been sent to Apple, but either way when they open the phone to inspect it - if they find any traces of moisture it wont be repaired as it falls outside the standard warranty.

It doesnt mean you have got it wet or dropped it in water, it could mean you used it in the rain or you left it in the bathroom while in the shower and there has been condensation that has got in the phone. I Know it sounds silly but phones are electronic goods and almost all phones are not designed to be in contact with moisture.

£150 to get it repaired is very expensive so i would definately have a look around, check if you have home/bank insurance - but of course an iphone will cost more than other phones because its a much more expensive handset than your bog standard motorola.

Regards

Thanks for the reply, its all just so frustrating. I've heard about the moisture issue, but surely phones should be able to cope with the odd raindrop - I even had a protective case on it! Its just the lack of contact with Vodafone that's frustrating, I took it to a store 2 and a half weeks ago, and been in 3 times now, and its only when I chased it today that I was told its not covered - yet the note on the 'system' was put on on the 16th - 5 dyas ago - I wondered when they were going to tell me? As long as they are still collecting the £35 a month - are they really that bothered?

Amzy

Hi,

Usually when your phone is @ repair you should recieve a series of text messages to let you know where your phone is. One when its there, on its way back and finally when its arrived back in the store. The texts however dont say whether its repaired or not but it lets you know its ready for collection.

I dont know why they took so long to inform you when it was back in, different stores operate differently although they should all be the same and 'on the ball' to ensure that customers get a quick and easy service.

I  have experienced situations like this before and its not easy or something that is liked , but when it comes to moisture damage if you dont have insurance there isnt much we can do instores - it may be worth emailing Vodafone and calling them to see if theres anything they can do as a goodwill gesture, considering you have only had it such a short amount of time and you paid for it upfront.

Good luck

Regards

The £150 is probably for the price of an Apple out of warranty replacement, they very rarely fix them just swap them for a refurb and then send the old handset back to the factory to be taken apart and used as spares.  I have had a Apple refurb for more than a year with no problems and you can't tell the difference.

AnnS
17: Community Champion

As has been mentioned on the forum many times, take the phone into an Apple store.  Apple are keen to protect the credibility of their product and if the phone is faulty, you could well walk out with a brand new iphone 4.

I have had a similar problem only with a blackberry. I checked on all help forums regarding the fault and everything I read indicated a fault with the battery. I took my phone down to the vodafone store and the first question I was asked was whether I had vodafone insurance, which I do. The guy didn't even open up my phone and simply declared that it was 'water damaged'. Like yours my phone has never been wet and I am careful. The help forums did not mention water damage concerning the particular fault I was having. I was told they would not repair it or consider letting me try a new battery and i had to claim on their insurance. In the end I bought a new battery and hey presto it works a treat. I found the way they leapt to water damage with probably little or no expertise appalling and seemed hell bent on me putting in an insurance claim!!!!

Nabs

@AnnS wrote:

As has been mentioned on the forum many times, take the phone into an Apple store.  Apple are keen to protect the credibility of their product and if the phone is faulty, you could well walk out with a brand new iphone 4.

A colleage of mine dropped his iPhone in a sink full of water and apple replaces it free of charge, get down to an apple store, they have much better repairs service than vodafone.

Worst case apple's out of warranty repair is £146.44.

That would cover water damage - "For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service."
http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/service/faq/

from what i have seen most of the time they just replace the handset completely rather than repairing it.

Same thing with me, iphone has been no where near water, it was not charging well, everything else was working fine.  Took in, and got message back "water damaged." I am furious, same usual rubbish from vodafone customer services £150 to fix.  No way.  If my phone is water damaged, it has happened while in vodafone's possession.  Taking it to Apple to see what they say

I worry about how many Vodafone customers are blamed for water damage. There seems to be a lot of careless people out there including me apparently.

I can keep a phone for a year and not get a scratch on it, but water keeps finding it's way in somehow. Yeah right.

I put my old Nokia in for repair as it kept crashing when loading. The phone was sent away from repair and came back fully working. However the case and screen on my phone were now badly scratched.

The shop had recorded the phone to be in excellent condition on leaving the shop for repair.

It was sent back to have housing and screen replaced. Two weeks later the phone was returned as uneconomical to repair due to water damage!

It was in bits two weeks before with no suggestion of water damage and after two weeks in their care water damage killed the phone.

Vodafone refused to do anything and forced me to claim insurance.

My next Nokia also started playing up.

Sent for repair again and yet again water damage to blame.

I refused this as it was never subject to water.

Vodafone's excuse started with you must have had it in the bathroom. NO

Was is near a boiling kettle? Don't be stupid.

Then the best was saved for last.

Apparently the change in weather conditions going from hot weather into a cooler evening can cause water damage through condensation according to Vodafone.

My point then was the phone was not fit for purpose if it could not withstand normally UK temperatures.

Again Vodafone refused to review the situation and forced me to claim from insurance.

I'm surprised the insurance company accepts water damaged claims so easily.

Dare I say it, it almost seems like Vodafone would rather you claim your insurance than them fixing the phone when it's justified.