Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why No Unlimited Data Contract?

Trump
4: Newbie

I will be looking to upgrade to a 5S and have been looking around at other providers.

Three offers "All You Can Eat" data.

Why doesn't Vodafone?

With 4G I can imagine that many will look to increase the amount of data they download but with Three you don't have to worry about limits?

What advantages does Vodafone have over Three and others that have more generous limits?

13 REPLIES 13

Getafix
16: Advanced member

There must be something about Vodafone that despite them not offering unlimited they are still in Business.

I am with Vodafone as they have good signal in my most usual places and they are at the price I am willing to pay.

You tell us why you are willing to go with Vodafone? There must be something you like about what they offer or else you would be going with other network.

I have been with Vodafone for over 10yrs.

The answer I guess I am looking to establish is why I should stay.

With regards to signal, it's OK but not great. When I go to the home ground of the football club I support (in a popular area of London) the signal is awful.

Texts take ages to send, no 3G and the signal often drops completely.

I have been a very loyal customer of Vodafone and now I'm looking to see why I should continue to stay. Up until now I've stayed out of convenience.

QyKo
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Reason why VF do not offer Unlimited Data is because they are a superior network and do not require to offer packages such as that in order for people to join, or stay, their network.

The signal at your home football crowd - as you said London, not to be ignorant of perhaps any lower league clubs in the London area, i'd say you support 1 of the premiership clubs which all holds onwards and upwards of 50,000+

That amount of people in a close area, could be enough to overload masts to a point where they could have to prioritise signal or with high volume - network can become clustered and have to find a new mast to grab signal from which could be further away hence low signal.

There are lots of reason for this and moving to 3 will only make things worse as they use other companies masts (if nothing has changed since around 2008?, im not sure exactly but couldnt be far off).

If you have been a loyal customer of Vodafone then id see no reason why you would want to leave now unless an exclusive phone comes out for another company in which case it would provide incentive to leave.

Storm 9500 - Dec 08 - Oct 09 || Storm 9520 - Oct 09 - July 10
Bold 9700 - July 10 - Sept 11 || Bold 9900 - Sept 11 - Jan 12
iPhone 4s - Jan 12 - Feb 13 || z10 Feb 13 - Oct 13
S4 - Current

Hi

I can answer your question as I don't know why they don't offer unlimited data.

However EE & O2 the other two current 4G carries don't offer unlimited data so I guess there is no reason for Vodafone to do so right now. 

Alex

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Trump wrote:

What advantages does Vodafone have over Three and others that have more generous limits?

I could talk all day about this but i'll raise just 3 points:

• 4G
    Vodafone already have it and have a very impressive rollout plan (98% coverage by 2015). They also own the largest chunk of 4G frequencies in the UK meaning they have maximum flexibility to rollout a bigger, faster network than all the rest. Three are not planning on begining their rollout until the end of this year, already 6 months behind Vodafone and they have placed no targets on coverage. Vodafone will have 4G in 12 locations by the end of this year
  • Coverage
    This one is very dependant on your location but from what I have found, Vodafone have much more reliable and widespread core network than Three
  • Traffic management
    Three use a form of traffic management on their network that limits the speed of your connect at certain times. Vodafone do not use any form of management.

At the end of the day the network you choose to use is entirely your decision. Make sure you have look at all the facts and are happy with whichever choice you make.

@QyKo wrote:

There are lots of reason for this and moving to 3 will only make things worse as they use other companies masts (if nothing has changed since around 2008?, im not sure exactly but couldnt be far off).

Three used to use T-mobile i believe. This deal was terminated a couple of years ago and they now rely solely on their 3G network which, whilst it is good in some areas, in many areas it's non existant. Vodafone do still maintain and improve their 2G networks so you always have that to fall back on.

Nabs

All,

Thank you for your replies. Balanced and informative.

Appreciated.

Jebelious

I have spoken to a few friends that were on giff gaff with their unlimited data, they have now made the move to Vodafone to utilise the 12gb of data on the top tariff. Even when they had the unlimited data they still only really got to about 9gb of data downloads on their phone.

I must admit i am now on 8gb of data and am finding it hard to get anywhere near the usage and keep the battery life going 😛

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

MAFG
1: Seeker
I have found that there is no difference in customer service from Male, Female, Young or Younger, Old or Older, Irish, Romanian, Egyptian, Management, Standard Advisor, Billing, Upgrades team: It doesnt matter who I speak with- they all give a million per cent! This company have shown me courtesy, professionalism, an excellent service And in particular they have done something that I had never before experienced as a consumer: The Irish team in Belfast have shown me 'Kindness' on more than one occasion! I say these words on a regular basis to Vodafone staff- and mean them sincerely: "You put in the effort to make the customer happy and you achieve your aims so really you now need to smile inwardly and be happy as your job has been well done, as a person you have 'won' and as customer service you ARE appreciated. I have time to tell you this and declare that as your service does not discriminate: others appreciate you too, its just that most people have very busy lives and they do not make time to praise others. If you consider the fact that until you have my details- you don't know who I am, then consider that from the onset there is courtesy and a keenness to assist: this is proof that we all get the same service- and if I'm grateful- everyone else must be too- they just don't make time to tell you. So please, when this call ends I'd like you to smile and be happy with the knowledge that you have loads of colleagues just like yourself that are worth every penny Vodafone pay you AND whether they make the effort to tell you or not: Everyone appreciates you. Have a good day, a good year and a good life as you make ours better!"

MAFG
1: Seeker
I would like the data to be cheaper so I could afford the 20gb so I could use the satnav on my phone but they have told me unlimited data would be silly to offer as the sheer volume could make the system crash and customers unhappy. I did consider it a marketting strategy at first but tend to believe what I'm told by customer service as they will put technical people on at anytime to corroborate what they say.
I would still like the 20gb plans to be cheaper but even if I have to be with Vodafone a while longer before this happens: I shall not go back to the inferior service I have experienced through various other carriers! I will stay with the best!