cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why was my new phone previously someone else's old phone?

Graemedthompson
2: Seeker

I completed a master reset on my iPhone 5s tonight as it has been crashing recently when taking and recieving calls from my bluetooth car system.

After reseting the phone is now asking me to enter a password for an Apple ID that is not associated with me? I have been to the Apple Store, who have advised me that this means my iPhone has previously been associated with another user?

The Apple Store said that they need proof of purchase from me in order to fix the phone, which I do not have, as the phone was an upgrade with yourself.

So I am looking for two things... an explantation as to why a phone I got as new has been associated with another user, and therefore a refirbished phone and not what I thought I was buying? and I also need proof of purchase that I can take to the Apple store?

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

When you received the upgrade phone did it have the sealed plastic around the box ?

If the iPhone had been used by another owner you would not have been able to enter your own Apple ID into it from the start of powering it up, unless they (the original owner ) had gone into the iPhone's settings and used the 'Erase All Contents and Settings 'option to remove their info and Apple ID details.

This security feature is called 'Activation Lock ' and 's help link on that is https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695?locale=en_GB

As far as I'm aware performing a reset by pressing the Home Button and Power button until the  logo appears or even restoring the iPhone wouldn't bring back any previous owner details because if so anyone purchasing a used iPhone would have these issues ,and to date I haven't come across anyone that has replicated what you are experiencing.

Obviously I understand the point is also that your concerned that you expected a new phone and not a previously used one, although I'm not sure that may be the case.

For me something has seriously glitched with your New iPhone.

Either way I suspect you'll need to speak directly with Customer Services on this bus the 'Contact Us' link at the foot of the forum page.

They would be able to check the Serial number and imei number of the iPhone to see its user history etc and customer services is the route to provide proof of purchase.

In my eyes if the iPhone does turn out to be a previously used one and should have been a new unused one then perhaps ask Vodaphone to replace the handset for a new one.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Graemedthompson
I have tried to contact you however the colleague i spoke to was unaware of how I would get proof of purchase, and has asked me to email with my query? I have had the phone for around 18months so cannot understand why it has suddenly displayed this? I have previously reset the phone before and nothing like this has happened.

I am begning to get severely frustrated as no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer or solution to this problem?

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Graemedthompson wrote:
I am begning to get severely frustrated as no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer or solution to this problem?

Go back to an Apple store and ask them to run a diagnotics test.
From that they can see the history of the phone from the factory to date, they will be able to see when it became first associated with your Apple ID. Although they may still require the proof of purchase from Vodafone it will take you a few steps further forward to finding out why the stranger's ID has popped up in the security setting.

Have you previously reset the phone back to factory settings or just done a soft-reset by using the home and sleep button method.?

What happens if you connect the phone and open iTunes does it recognise that there is a device connected?

I assume that you have never jailbroken the phone?

BandOfBrothers
Hi

I'm a customer like you as indicated in my forum signature.

Proof of purchase can be discussed via Live Chat or Customer Service by phone.

In reality it shouldn't display this at all and to me is an anomaly.

If you were going to have this issue it would be in my view when you first powered it up and tried to input your own Apple ID.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.