Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling on iPhone 6S not working in office environment

johnnykins
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have an iPhone 6S with the latest iOS update (10.1.1).  Wifi calling is switched on and works fine at home with my home wifi, it also works fine on the London Underground and when I'm connected to The Cloud wifi. So no problems with the phone itself.

However, when I'm in the office wifi calling just refuses to kick-in.  I've had our ICT people on the case to check the IT firewall settings and they can't find anything wrong.  Others with (non-Vodafone) Android handsets operate fine with wifi calling in the office, I can't find any iOS users with a 6S or above though to test things.

Any ideas? Maybe Vodafone have specific settings which routers have to be configured too?  We use Cisco routers.

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I wouldn't of thought it would be a specific router or settings. It should just connect if normal network signal fails. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@johnnykins We only supply Wi-Fi calling for domestic use, we're unable to advise on your company router or settings.

nikiandemma
7: Helper
7: Helper
Might be worth checking your internet traffic to see where it routes through. Ours routes through the USA and as such EE wifi calling doesn't work either. I cannot comment for Vodafone Wifi calling unfortunately but I'd imagine it be the same circumstance. I'm guessing be mindful if someone was successful in connecting to Vodafone wifi calling and they were not seen as being connected from a U.K. IP address then the call might look like you were roaming and incur additional charges.

jeffkinn

Wi Fi calling only works in the UK so that is a potential explanation.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for your suggestion, however the routing is via the JANET network and (as far as I know) doesn't go via the US.  Also, one of our IT team who is on EE reported that their Wifi calling works on her phone. 

The comment from Vodafone is rather odd considering that Wifi calling on my phone works from the offices of two FTSE 100 (non-comms) companies in London.  As well as on the London Underground and the wifi of a major teaching hospital.  These are not domestic environments. 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@johnnykins Whilst this may work in some instances, we can’t guarantee the service will work in all other non-domestic environments.

As suggested above, if the connection is routed via overseas servers, that could also be another reason for this not working.