Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

World Traveler/ Data Roaming Clarification

pipmarlowe
2: Seeker
Hi, I have a possibly paranoid data roaming query. I am on World Traveler in the USA, which does seem to have activated. The first part of my question is just to make doubly sure that having Data Roaming on (and thus connecting to the AT&T 4G network) will still count as using my UK data allowance under the Workd Traveler plan.

That brings me to the second part of the question. My standard UK data allowance is 6 GB. I seem to have used about 4.5 GB before coming to the USA. However, that appears to have all been under some special "unlimited data" offer about which I received a text message saying it would be unlimited till 22 August 2015. When I look at my usage, it appears to count the 4.5 gigs already used as being part of the unlimited data use and not as part of the 6 gigs data allowance.

The question then is if - as I hope - just turning on data roaming here means world traveller allows me to use my UK data allowance on data roaming (for the £5 a day charge), does that mean I have unlimited data here, or will it start subtracting from the unused 6 GB? Or will it mean I only have 1.5 GB left to use while abroad? I just need some guidance so I can pace my use.

Many thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The data test trial that gives unlimited use is for the UK only and does not apply to any overdseas use. For that you have your normal contractual allowance.

Connecting to AT&T will be covered by the £5 a day World Traveller tariff.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

pipmarlowe
Thanks, so just to clarify: does that mean the normal contractual allowance will start at 0 out of a potential 6GB or at 4.5 out of a potential 6GB? Am presuming the latter.

jeffkinn

I think the latter but I'm not sure. Someone else in the community may have a better idea than me.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pipmarlowe

As all the data you've used in the UK has come out of your unlimited Data Test Drive, you've technically not used any of your basic allowance yet.

This means that while you're in the USA, you start at 0GB and can use up to your basic allowance of 6GB of data while roaming. 

You can keep a check on your data usage using the My Vodafone app - http://vdfn.co/eq9a8