Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

accessing old text messages

Curry
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have an iphone 5 and the text setting is on 'forever'. I have never deleted any texts. I now need to retrieve a texts from about 8 mths ago but despite my setting being on forever, they only go back 3 mths. I have used itunes and also bought software from Tansee to be able to print my old texts but i cannot get beyond last october on my iphone, however my text thread with my daughter who is on an android, I can recover texts much further back. My phone has heaps of storage as i only use it for texting and checking emails. I have been intouch with 'chatline' Voidaphone but they were unable to help unless it was a police matter.

Does anyone know how I can recover the texts?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Vodafone only keep texts on their servers for a short while and are nut able to provide their content even by requesting a Subject to Access Request. 

Your Apple icloud back up also holds your text messages but if they are missing from that then they are gone unless you use any other form of 2nd back up. 

Apple icloud information here > Apple icloud information.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

OK thanks for getting back to me. I do have the icloud on my phone but I am not sure if i am registered, when I clicked the icloud icon in the settings on my phone it is 'on' do you think I will be able to retrieve the texts from icloud?

I have since downloaded itunes and will back up regularly on that so I can retrieve historical info if needed.

Thanks Carol.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

You should be able to look in your iPhones settings to check. 

icloud back up is tupyx turned on by default. 

And a person can manually back up in icloud too. 

I also use Dropbox to put important items in. 

Some relevant information in https://discussions.apple.com/message/25682845#25682845

Current Phone  >

Hi 

My icloud setting is on. in my phone. Does that mean that it has automatically downloaded and backed up my texts or do i actually have to log in to icloud and ask it to do that?

BandOfBrothers

Hi

The link I added should help with explaining get how the icloud back up is set and how it works. 

In your iPhones settings under icloud will be the Back Up part. Touch that to open it up and it'll tell.you when the last back up was. You can also manually back up there. 

On my ipad and iPhone I also used to get a warning prompt if a back up hadn't been actioned. I think it's it one isn't done every 2 weeks. 

Current Phone  >

Many thnaks for your help.