Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

data usage

bestroi
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi - first time posting. I have had the same plan for several years- i have never come close to using my inclusive data. I upgraded to an iphone but still have the same plan. I have been contacted in last 24 hours 3 times by text saying my data had been used - I have done 2 add ons with 24 hours and I receive another text saying its all be used. I dont think im doing anything different so dont understand why this is happening . Can anyone advise with any thoughts. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, I have read of this happening if wifi assist is activated, if wifi drops out then data takes over and uses your data until you reconnect to wifi.

Also make sure that you dont have videos set to auto play on facebook and wifi.

Thanks for that- being a bit ignorant where do i find wifi assist in the settings. Also what do you mean re videos set to auto play- what type of videos and how do i alter it ?

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

On an iPhone wifi assist can be found at:

Settings > Mobile Data and scroll to the bottom of the window

kids

@bestroi When using Facebook videos are by default set to auto play. You can turn this off by following this:

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-disable-auto-play-facebook-videos-on-iphone-and-ipad/

BandOfBrothers

Hi @bestroi

A person can check what's using how much data within the iPhone data monitor. 

Settings - Mobile Data- The Apps at the bottom show what's using it. This should be reset when your data allowance from Vodafone resets. 

Some people turn off Mobile Data in settings when on WiFi - say at home so the it does not switch from WiFi to mobile data when the screen goes to sleep. 

If you Google a search would highlight other ways of saving data. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids

@bestroi  

Another way to make sure that your phone does not use data when you are unaware it is doing so is to turn off mobile data when you think you are using wifi.

A "feature" of the iPhone is if it is using wifi and the wifi signal drops for a split second it switches to mobile data but does not automatically switch back until whatever process was being used ends. It also drops the wifi connection a few seconds after going into sleep mode and only reconnects to wifi when it is woken up again.

The only sure way to avoid this is as above or by keeping the phone connected to a power source. When connected to a power source the phone will hold the wifi connection.