cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPad Air 2 unexpectedly turned off and won't turn back on.

akilner-1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm just wondering if someone will be able to help me. I purchased an Apple iPad Air 2 through a Vodafone store in January/February 2015 as a present to my sister. I cancelled this tablet once the contract finished in January 2017. Roughly about 1/2 weeks ago, the iPad screen suddenly went black and now won't turn back on. We've tried charging the tablet through 2 different chargers and different plug sockets within the home, also tried sticking a pin into the reset button to see if that would help. We arranged to go into our local Apple Store and was there for about half an hour to 45 minutes, the advisor plugged it into the computer to try and connect it to iTunes and it hasn't worked. He told us to go back to where we bought the tablet from (which is yourselves) and have it repaired under the EU Consumer Law as the tablet has not reached its life expectancy which is roughly 6 years. The iPad has no exterior damage and it hasn't been dropped. Just needing advice before I do go into store and for it being a wasted trip. 

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

This has probably been tried but have you held the power and home button in together until hopefully an apple logo appears. 

I wasn't aware that iPad had a reset option via sticking a pin in it  ?

Apple put 12 months Manufacturing Warranty on their devices and Vodafone comply with that. 

The 6 year Consumer Law is something that has been discussed both here and elsewhere over the years ,and I've yet to come across anyone who has gotten anywhere with it. Have you read that piece from Apple on that 6 Year Consumer Law ?  Link.

This is an informative piece from Which which hopefully should help. 

Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Look at the 6 months and more section. 

A Vodafone Store would advise the warranty status of 12 months has expired and possibly advise there would be a charge if they sent it off. 

Apple also provide an Out of Warranty replacement programmme but does come with a one off cost to have the device swapped out. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes, we tried holding the power and home button down together. The man in the Apple store tried this as well. There is a little hole, which turns out to be a button at the side of the power switch (think it's based there), this does a force reset of the tablet. The man in Apple advised us to go back to Vodafone on the EU consumer law but he did also tell us that the iPad was not going to work, but he then gave three options; take it back to Vodafone and have it replaced under this law, pay £288 to get a new iPad or to sell it as parts. So I'm not 100% sure if he was trying to fob me off and go back to Vodafone or if he actually meant it as there was nothing they could do. But surely even though I bought the tablet through Vodafone, the iPad has actually come from them, so if they are bring the consumer law into it, they should be able to sort it out as well as it is actually their product. 

Have you tried putting in DFU mode? 

DFU Mode

DFU mode is signified by having a completely black screen on the device.
Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes. Turn the iPhone off.
Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button.
Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected by iTunes.

I should have said, the above does mention an iPhone, but it also applies  to an iPad. 

Should also mention that it will wipe everything off the device. Hope it is backed up.!

The man in the Apple shop tried this and it was not working still.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @akilner-1, our team in store will be happy to take a closer look at the device for you.

If a repair is needed, they'll also be able to arrange this. There may be a charge to the repair as the device will be no longer be covered by the 12 month warranty as mentioned by @BandOfBrothers

We went to store yesterday and they advised us to take it back to Apple. If I'm honest, I'm going to give it up as a bad job...

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @akilner-1,

It's a shame to hear that.

If you do change your mind and go to Apple, please let us know what the outcome is.

If you do need anything in the future, feel free to pop us a message.

Thanks

BandOfBrothers

@akilner-1 wrote:

Yes, we tried holding the power and home button down together. The man in the Apple store tried this as well. There is a little hole, which turns out to be a button at the side of the power switch (think it's based there), this does a force reset of the tablet. The man in Apple advised us to go back to Vodafone on the EU consumer law but he did also tell us that the iPad was not going to work, but he then gave three options; take it back to Vodafone and have it replaced under this law, pay £288 to get a new iPad or to sell it as parts. So I'm not 100% sure if he was trying to fob me off and go back to Vodafone or if he actually meant it as there was nothing they could do. But surely even though I bought the tablet through Vodafone, the iPad has actually come from them, so if they are bring the consumer law into it, they should be able to sort it out as well as it is actually their product. 

I'm using the iPad Air 1 and the only other port near my power switch is a mic.

None of the spec sheets I've looked at point out a reset via a pin hole.  :Sad_face:

I've personally never come across a reset option where a pin is pushed into a reset hole on any iPad ! 

The Which Guide I added and other sources on the internet should point towards that it's the seller of the device that implements the manufacturing warranty. The Manufacturers do tend to want to help even if they've not supplied the device. 

Consumer Law is something way different away from the Manufacturing Warranty and entails a different set of rules. Again the Which Link explains what has to be proved.

To reiterate I've come across many posts over different forums over the years that have people in similar situations who have been out of Apples 12 Warranty period, and Apple have either decided to help anyway or pointed the person back to the provider of the device i.e. Vodafone, and quoted this 6 year Consumer option. As I mentioned I've yet to hear back from these people if they were successfull in this Avenue. 

Did the Apple Genius Bar employee try to hook up the iPad to one of their MacBooks , if so then the Dfu and reset options is what they will have tried to begin with. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.