Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPad fault

m_burrows
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
So my girlfriends contract finished for an iPad 6 months ago, it was a 2 year contract. Apple confirm its faulty / will need replacing and are happy to do this at a reduced cost. They also said as its over two years old, I still have consumer rights with Vodafone to challenge a repair / replacement. The battery went flat and won't turn back on / charge. Even Apple said the condition of it is near mint. What are my consumer rights here? I went to a Vodafone shop and was shooed out quite abruptly and rudely with an wxclaimation of 'no, no,no, nothing to do with us. You have a 1 year warranty' yes that's right 1 year warranty on an over inflated 2 year contract.

As far as I can see I will have to take this further unless someone from Vodafone will listen to me!

£800 on a brick that's worth £350 new, my girlfriend wouldn't make that mistake again!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Answer 4 of this thread is applicable to your question:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Apple-iPhone-6-6-Plus/Broken-Hardware-in-an-iPhone/m-p/2471138#M8085

However batteries are not covered by Apple warranties so no supplier would be liable for free replacements.
"This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship"

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

kids

Answer 4 of this thread is applicable to your question:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Apple-iPhone-6-6-Plus/Broken-Hardware-in-an-iPhone/m-p/2471138#M8085

However batteries are not covered by Apple warranties so no supplier would be liable for free replacements.
"This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship"

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Have you considered any Household Insurance ? T&C and excess fees would apply.

This has been discussed recently in relation to a iPhone and the 6 year consumer law.  

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Apple-iPhone-6-6-Plus/Broken-Hardware-in-an-iPhone/m-p/2471131

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids

I would be very surprised if any Household or Bank Insurance would cover normal wear and tear which is what a battery deteriorating is especially as Apple exclude battery's in their warranties,

"About battery service
Batteries are consumable parts that can fail because of a defect or because they wear out through normal use. If your iPad fails because of a defect in the battery and it’s covered by Apple’s One Year Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or AppleCare Protection Plan, we’ll either repair your iPad or replace it. If your iPad has been damaged accidentally or needs other repairs, you may need to pay an additional fee for service"

If Insurance companies covered consumable parts then every motorist would be able to claim for, worn tyres, worn brake pads, failed batteries and so on.

But if you find an Insurance company who cover normal wear and tear I would like to hear who they are.

so youre saying this is the battery at fault?

still though, pretty poor that the battery goes flat and it then cant reboot

kids

@m_burrows wrote:

so youre saying this is the battery at fault?

No, Apple are saying that they only cover the battery for 12 months unless you take out Applecare + when it is then covered for 2 years.

Quite honestly for £200 I would have taken the Apple offer, the replacement devices come with a new screen, new casing and undergo more stringent inspection than that from the factory. You really can't compare iPad's with a Samsung Tablet but I guess if the Samsung suits your needs it is a good compromise.

Not sure what vodafone have to do with it, the Apple warranty is only for 12 months so Vodafone would have had to foot the cost of the reapir if they accepted liabilty for the device.

Where did you get the cost of insurance from? An Apple extended warranty cost around £80 and you can find them even cheaper on eBay.

well a fix through apple / replacement would have been £200 and insurance would amount to the cost of a samsung Tab E... so i bought a Tab E... sacking off apple now, and the mrs will be sacking off vodafone at the end of her contract (phone contract)