cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 4S bought from Carphone Warehouse wont unlock - PLEASE HELP!

kegandecaul
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I have just moved to another country and I need my handset unlocked to use it with a local sim. Before moving I put in a request which failed, then when I called to find out why I was told to speak to carphone warehouse, as that’s where I bought it from and only they could unlock it.

I spoke to carphone warehouse to get it unlocked but I read on their website that they never do unlocking and that I should be speaking to Vodafone instead. Sure enough I was told only Vodafone could unlock it. I then researched the Apple website for unlocking information who also says to get in touch with the 'carrier'. 

So I spoke to Vodafone again and they refused to help and kept trying to get me to pay £20 and said it wouldn’t be guaranteed to work, even though the contract ends in two months. The lady I spoke to also refused to put me in touch with her manager or anyone else who could help.

Eventually after over 30 minutes on the phone (I’m calling from the Caribbean!) the unlock request was put through again but it’s going to be 7-10 working days before anything happens and there is still no guarantee. From what I have read on these forums it’s fully possible for Vodafone to unlock it, it just seems to be policy to refuse them.

Please can someone help me to get the phone unlocked?

Many Thanks,

Kegan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Phone now unlocked!

Dear Customer,

Reference Number: 10*****
Mobile Number: 07****************
IMEI Number: 0********************

The iPhone has now been unlocked – Please replace the SIM (use a SIM which has never been used with this iPhone) and connect to iTunes or perform a software restore via iTunes.

Kind Regards,
Divya (surname removed)
NUC Resolutions

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi kegandcaul,

It's not our policy to refuse it at all. The problem when the phone is bought from a different company can come if we haven't been given the IMEI details.

To unlock an iPhone, we need to submit the IMEI to Apple, who then process the request. If we don't have the correct IMEI on our database, we're unable to send it to them.

If we don't have it at this point, there is a way we can proceed. If you have paperwork such as a receipt or a proof of purchase from Carphone Warehouse which shows the IMEI, get us a copy and we can get the database updated. You won't have to pay again if you resubmit it - there will only be the one charge at most.

Keep plugging the phone into iTunes via the cable with the alternate SIM card in. As soon as the unlock is complete, it'll update the phone for you.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks ever so much for your prompt and knowledgeable reply. I understand it’s a not a straight forward case but you are the first person to offer this option and I’ve been on the phone to at least three separate people at Vodafone literally begging for help.

I spoke to Carphone Warehouse and they are sending me proof of purchase which I will provide as soon as it arrives, is there an email address to send the information to? Otherwise do you know what my next steps should be in terms of who to get in touch with?

Kind Regards,

Kegan 

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi kegandecaul

Once you get the information pop me message here and we'll help you further :).

Thanks

Sukhi

Hi Suhki,

Thanks for your message,

I have received the Proof of Purchase and have sent you the details in the form provided.

Please let me know if I can provide anything else to help the situation.

Regards,

Kegan

Hello,

For anyone who is having the same issue, I am posting the email I received today for your reference.

-----------------------------------------------

Hi Kegan,

Thanks for providing the details.

I’ve raised a request for your handset to be unlocked. The reference number for this request is **********.

Once the handset is unlocked, you’ll receive an email confirmation on your email address ‘********@gmail.com’. Rest assured, this should be done within the next 2-5 working days.

Kind regards,

Aftab (surname removed)

-----------------------------------------

My advice to those having this issue is to make a post here on this forum; the teams on here are apparently much more capable dealing with such matters. I spoke to various members of the Vodafone team on the phone and I was outright refused and was told it was impossible and that I had to speak to Apple and Carphone Warehouse directly, one lady even told me I had to pay £20 but that it wasn’t guaranteed to work, NICE!

I don’t know why this information about getting the proof of purchase wasn’t immediately available to me when I first spoke to Vodafone well over a month ago but if all goes as promised by them, then at least it has a happy ending. 

Many thanks to those who have been helping me throughout this arduous process.

Kind Regards,

Kegan

Hello,

Quick update: I haven't heard anything since the last message I posted, but I guess they still have two days left to pull through, fingers crossed.

Kegan

Phone now unlocked!

Dear Customer,

Reference Number: 10*****
Mobile Number: 07****************
IMEI Number: 0********************

The iPhone has now been unlocked – Please replace the SIM (use a SIM which has never been used with this iPhone) and connect to iTunes or perform a software restore via iTunes.

Kind Regards,
Divya (surname removed)
NUC Resolutions

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem. 

I've contact Vodafone 2weeks ago to unlock my Iphone 4 which I've taken on contract at Phones4U.

I've filled the form online 2 days ago to unlock it, because it seems like the lady i was speaking to did not even contact Apple to unlock it. I ended up with a mail ' 

Case ID 4609182

Dear Customer,

We are unable to verify your email address with our records as it does not match with our database. Also, the IMEI number provided by you does not match with our records and in that case we will not be able to process your request. To update these details and process the unlock request, kindly contact the Helpline by calling 191 from your mobile phone or 08700 700191 (Vodafone contract) or 08700 776655 (Vodafone Pay as you Talk) from a landline.  '

Can anyone help me with this?. 

Kind Regards, 

Tom

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
A mod will pick up your post and contact you to help you update your details. You will need to provide proof of the purchase to enable the details to be updated.