cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

should i cancel iphone 6s upgrade - SIM only cheaper?

blimpyboy
3: Seeker

On Saturday, I upgraded to a 12-month contract, iPhone 6S 64gb, Red Value (8GB).  £64 a month, £229 upfront, for a total contract spend of £997.

I notice today that if I purchased the phone outright (£619), and purchased a Voda sim only, Red Value (10GB) at £27.20 per month on a 12-month commit, total spend would be £945.

I.e. if I purchase outright and go sim only, I spend £52 less over 12 months, receive an extra 2GB and have an unlocked phone at the outset.  Don't see any drawbacks other than in cashflow.

Am I mistaken?

8 REPLIES 8

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

No you aren't mistaken. If you have the £619 to spend right now it's the right decision to make.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

Buying the iPhone outright has always seemed to be the less expensive choice when looked at over the span of the contract. And when purchased this way from an  Store they are also unlocked. No having to request an unlock down the line. 

If you've never purchased from an  Store before get ready for a good shopping experience. (If your not having one courier to your home)

Allow enough time to be taken to the 'Set Up Area' where you can check the iPhone over, and download your iCloud backup (if applicable)

As you say Disposable Income is the deciding factor. 

This way also maybe the fastest option to acquire the handset. 

Nice choice of phone 😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I've ordered the same but went with Vodafone as cash flow an issue and will need to trade in old handset once I've received new 6S

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@blimpyboy wrote:

Am I mistaken?

No you are correct.

As per the other replies if you have the money available then an outright purchase from Apple is the way to go.

The other benefit of buying direct from Apple is that if anything does go wrong with the phone you can go back to Apple and get it sorted out there and then rather than having to send it back via the Vodafone repair service.

If you still have a few pounds spare then take out the Applecare+ cover, it gives excellent value but do read the T&C's, it does not cover loss so bear that in mind.

it has actually worked out cheaper for me to stick with a vodafone 12 month contract this time.

buying direct from apple - £789 (6s plus 128gb)

sim only from vodafone £27.20 - less 20% nhs discount = £21.76 a month

£21.76 x 12 = £261.12

Total cost = £789 + £261.12 = £1,050.12

12 month contract upgrade

handset charge - £389

monthly cost - £64 - less 20% nhs discount = £51.20 a month

£51.20 x 12 = £614.40

Total cost = £389 + £614.4 = £1,003.40

So upgrading through Vodafone will save me £46.72 over the 12 months.

And in a years time i will have a phone still worth £450+ to sell to put towards the iphone 7.

Just to let you know, you cannot have a discount on top of a discount.

The £27.20 sim only is already discounted and Vodafone would not have applied another 20% ontop

I fell for the same trap :Winking_smiley:

@tailwhip2000 wrote:

sim only from vodafone £27.20 - less 20% nhs discount = £21.76 a month

blimpyboy
Great. Thanks all.

Theakstone
12: Established
12: Established

The 64GB 6s is £699.00. It St the 16GB 6s that is £619.00