Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

turn off cellular roaming

mattmac
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Am I going mad or has Vodafone disabled the ability to turn off cellular roaming. I am using an Iphone 6s on IOS 9.3.2. 

Apple are insisting that there should be Settings > Cellular with the option to turn off cellular roaming, but there isn't. Unless I am missing something Vodafone has disabled this function and even the very helpful person on Apple Chat is puzzled.

All I want to do is turn off cellular data/roaming whilst leaving wifi on while I am in the US for 2 weeks. Last year while I was in France I got charged £3 for every day my phone was switched on because Vodafone kept sending me a text to say Welcome to France which activated my Eurotraveller daily charge. I want to keep just wifi on so I can use WhatsApp to keep in touch while in Disney.

Vodafone Chats best advice was to remove the sim !!

8 REPLIES 8

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Settings >mobile data> mobile data options >data roaming >on/off

I tried this but the cellular singal strength and network indication still shows and I can still call my mobile from a landline. Does this only come into effect when abroad and not on the UK network.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Have you tried turning on Airplane Mode and then turn wifi back on. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids

Yes, roaming is only enabled when you roam out of the UK.

You can be doubly sure if you wish by turning ON airplane mode and the turning back ON wifi.

That way nothing except wifi can be used.

Didn't even think of using airplane mode and turning just wifi back on. Works perfectly, emails come in but phone goes straight through to voicemail. Simplest ways are the best, thank you

kids

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

As you say sometimes the simplest way is the best.

BandOfBrothers

@mattmac wrote:

Didn't even think of using airplane mode and turning just wifi back on. Works perfectly, emails come in but phone goes straight through to voicemail. Simplest ways are the best, thank you

You're welcome. 

:Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

Turning off mobile data doesn't turn off the mobile signal - you can still use the phone as a phone and send and receive texts. You just can't access the internet.

What you want is airplane mode and then turn wifi back on. That stops the phone from accessing any mobile network.

Also the Vodafone texts don't activate the £3 charge. Your phone would have been accessing the internet in the background.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png