Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

vodafone wificall cannot send sms

pocpot
4: Newbie
Just got my new iPhone 6s today. Needed wifi calling...the area I live in get no signal at all. So phoned voda got wifi calling all set up. Great stuff......

So im able to make a call. Problem is none of my sms messages will send. I cannot find any info on the Internet nor anyone who has had the same problem.

I've gone upstairs and leant out the window, turned off wifi calling, sms sends fine.

Anyone had the same problem / found a solution?

Cheers
95 REPLIES 95

Good to see that Vodafone have provided an official response to this. Considering most other implementations of wifi calling have included texts its pretty shoddy that it doesn't support it. Spent most of the day troubleshooting my partners 6s after they bodged up transferring the SIM card and not hooking up to the suresignal. They don't seem to be able to get much right lately...

There's no official response here ?

Just some community helpers who aren't actually Voda UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network

Thanks

GL

LegendaryAced
4: Newbie

While connected on WiFi Calling with an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus, go to Settings > General > About > Tap: Carrier

That row should change to IMS Status and have the value 'Voice'. It is ultimately clear that Vodafone has only set up their IMS for voice, which will probably change in the future. Once they implement SMS through WiFi Calling that value should change to something else, probably 'Voice & SMS' or so.

It's frankly outrageous that SMS doesn't work on Vodafone wi-fi calling.

come on guys, please sort this out!

Can we get an official response to this ASAP ?

Will email the Exec Office regarding this thread.

Thanks

GL

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@GreenLantern wrote:

Can we get an official response to this ASAP ?

Take a look here - this is the official stance.  It is as it says on the tin... WiFi calling ie the ability to make and receive calls whilst connected to WiFi.  Vodafone don't currently support the sending of texts over WiFi - it is calls only. 

PWIAC

That link doesn't work.

WiFi Calling is a standard that includes SMS as well

You are aware that its just a marketing name for GAN right ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network

Which includes full SMS capability baked in ?

Thanks

GL

drey_p

Try again - the link does work and it does state that it is calls only.

PWIAC

63johnw
17: Community Champion
I can confirm the link works.

jeffkinn

The link definitely works and the text of that page represents Vodafone's official position.

Can all think what we like of that fact that it is a voice only service and only extends to one class of iPhone at the moment, but Vodafone won't say anything else on this forum. Any extension of the service will be announced by another official press release.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png