Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blocking numbers

TomRHooper
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Apologies if this is in the wrong section - I couldn't think of a more appropriate place for it to go.

I'm wanting to block a number from calling or texting me - most phones allow such an option but the 4S does not - Apple says I must speak to my service provider - that's you guys. Unfortunately you guys tell me you can't block external numbers and I have to do it on my phone. Apple say it lies with you - you say it lies with Apple. Neither seem willing to help!

I used an Android handset as my primary phone for a short time but I couldn't get along with it, so I thought I'd just learn to put up with the calls and texts but this is impossible now and I'm thinking of getting the police involved with a restraining order and any other appropriate measures.

I don't really want to go to such extremes when I KNOW you guys can block that number for me and save me a whole lot of hassle - other providers can do it for iPhones so I'm aware of no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

Any help would be much appreciated :Smiling: thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

The network will consider blocking a number if there is any police involvement which flags the matter as serious enough.

Meanwhile as you know the number you can assign a silent ringtone to it, so it will continue to ring from the callers end but you will not be aware of it. It will still show in the missed calls list and also it will go to Voicemail.

andyeugene
1: Seeker

(mobile number removed for customer security)

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi TomRHooper

Thanks for your post. We're unable to block individual numbers from contacting you via your account. There are some handsets which do offer the facility but it is correct that Apple aren't one of them.

If it is a police matter then we can refer this to our fraud, risk and security team. We can also offer a number change for you if you're continuing to be harassed.

Thanks

Simon

We have this problem as well.   My Vodaphone is OK but my wife's Vodaphone keeps getting unwanted texts and calls . They are not just 'phishing' to random numbers or I would get them as well. Vodaphone must have given my wife a number that had been used before - some time ago, but we still keep getting calls and texts to the previous person from Betfred, motorcycle insurance companies, etc.   This is a problem caused by Vodaphone reallocating the number too soon. So Vodaphone ought to blacklist/block those numbers and not say they can only do it if the police are involved.

Paul

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello Paul

Numbers are recycled in general throughout the telephone industry.  Unfortunately, there is not an infinite number of mobile telephone numbers and once disconnected are reissued to another user but the 6 month 'quarantine' period should be adequate enough to remove any previous users information.

Vodafone can't block texts or calls at network level but there may be an application available or there could be a reject list which can be added on the phone.

If the calls and texts are a nuisance, a change of number may solve the problem but there is always the chance of a further recycled number.

The next time your Wife receives a call or text, if possible let them know she is the new user of the number and to remove the number from the data base, although understable, this could be difficult.  She could also remind them that it is an offense to persist in calling and sending texts after being asked to stop.