Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
jaanvar

Bt Openzone

Hi,

Recently I entered a BT openzone area with my iphone but was directed to the bt openzone page asking me to pay. I thought that we get 1 gig allowance on bt openzone.

Any one able to advise.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did try to search but found nothing on the topic.
Message 1 of 34 (17,581 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
c53204

Bt Openzone

Hi,

Recently I entered a BT openzone area with my iphone but was directed to the bt openzone page asking me to pay. I thought that we get 1 gig allowance on bt openzone.

Any one able to advise.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did try to search but found nothing on the topic.

Did you see a login option - you should have. You need to enter you 'My Vodafone' login details.
Clive Sinclair

"We want to make your life easier and your experiences better. " (from Vodafone Facebook page)
Message 2 of 34 (17,581 Views)
Munckles

Bt Openzone

Private BT Home and Business hubs also share the BTOpenzone SSID so not all hotspots are public hotspots. It's a confusing issue which has been raised with BT several times but they refuse to change the SSID's to differentiate between public BTOpenzone's and Home/Business hubs.

Message 3 of 34 (17,581 Views)
jaanvar

Bt Openzone

Did you see a login option - you should have. You need to enter you 'My Vodafone' login details.

I think I was directed to a page asking me to purchase wiifii access.
Message 4 of 34 (17,581 Views)
Munckles

Bt Openzone

Private BT Home and Business hubs also share the BTOpenzone SSID so not all hotspots are public hotspots. It's a confusing issue which has been raised with BT several times but they refuse to change the SSID's to differentiate between public BTOpenzone's and Home/Business hubs.

I found the following on another forum dated Oct 2007 and BT still won't change the SSID:

Q:

As the same SSID is used for BT Openzone and BT FON, how is it going to be possible to identify the existing Openzone sites.
Will it still be possible to use the existing Openzone free minutes at any site, including those new ones added as a result of BT FON, assuming that you did not join the FON network?

A:

Although the same ssid is used the login page will be different with different advertising and different options. Any BTOpenzone account will work on a BTFon site in addition to BTFon accounts and Fon accounts.
hope this makes sense

Message 5 of 34 (17,581 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Bt Openzone

Hi jaanvar

Brilliant news that you have got your iPhone :D I know I am loving mine

You do indeed get 1gb allowance on the BT Openzone, this is all included on your price plan.

As CliveS has pointed out, when you try and connect you will just need to input your "My Account" details and that should work, thanks CliveS :)

Munckles has confirmed another piece of good information, thanks Munckles :) there are issues with BT directly around the accounts that they use.

Martin
eForum Team
Message 6 of 34 (17,581 Views)
petrov

Bt Openzone

Hello eForum team,

I come here seeking assistance having had no luck with my BT Openzone issue through calling 191 over the past 4 weeks and spending many hours on the phone with them resetting my online account multiple times and registering for wifi multiple times. I have an Apple iPhone 4.

Whenever I try to login to BT Openzone it takes me to a login page (https://www.btopenzone.com) that has 3 login choices - BT Total Badband, BT Openzone and BT FON. I try to login using the BT Openzone checkbox, using the same username and password as I use to log into 'My Account' on www.vodafone.co.uk. I have registered for wifi (many times!). Each time the login tells me I must be entering my username or password incorrectly.

Kind eForum team, please help me where none of your call centre colleagues can...?

Yours with extreme exasperation,

Petrov.
Message 7 of 34 (17,581 Views)
Kal2009

Bt Openzone

1, You need to have registered @ www.vodafone.co.uk for online billing firstly.

2, Once above is complete, visit, www.vodafone.co.uk/wifi and login with your vodafone.co.uk username & password

3, Login to BTOpenZone on your phone with the vodafone.co.uk username & password

maybe worthwhile having you vodafone online account deleted and re-registering!

Worked fine for me but took a while to find out how to do it!
Message 8 of 34 (17,581 Views)
petrov

Bt Openzone

1, You need to have registered @ www.vodafone.co.uk for online billing firstly.

2, Once above is complete, visit, www.vodafone.co.uk/wifi and login with your vodafone.co.uk username & password

3, Login to BTOpenZone on your phone with the vodafone.co.uk username & password

maybe worthwhile having you vodafone online account deleted and re-registering!

Worked fine for me but took a while to find out how to do it!

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it - sadly I've done all those steps repeatedly...and still no luck.

Petrov.
Message 9 of 34 (17,581 Views)
Kal2009

Bt Openzone

I would recommend seeking advice from BT to see if they have an openzone setup in the area and if there are any issues with it.

One of my neighbours BT home hub internet shows that its a btopenzone when searching for connections and when trying to connect it does not work with my details, but when i go into the town centre, it works on that openzone (slow, but better than 2G)

Message 10 of 34 (17,581 Views)
petrov

Bt Openzone

I would recommend seeking advice from BT to see if they have an openzone setup in the area and if there are any issues with it.

One of my neighbours BT home hub internet shows that its a btopenzone when searching for connections and when trying to connect it does not work with my details, but when i go into the town centre, it works on that openzone (slow, but better than 2G)

Kal, not a bad idea, but again sadly I get the same result no matter which btopenzone hotspot I try to log in at (I've tried many...).

Thanks again though!

Petrov.
Message 11 of 34 (17,581 Views)
larrytheoneuk

Re: Bt Openzone

Very confusing indeed. I'm not sure that vodafone have the answer or are able to give a straight convincing answer.

I have just recieved an answer from customer services suggesting I retrieve my password from my local authority, yes thats is the honest

truth I have kept the email for prosperity lol, unbelievable?

Try this number 0800 022 33 22 & hit options 4 & 4. This is BT Openzone technical dept, they speak English as well ;-)

Its BT Openzone Premium your looking for, nothing else will do.

Good luck, I'm still not online although I get a good signal within the openzone area I still can't do anything ;-( looking for a kaff that sells nice coffee.

Message 12 of 34 (14,966 Views)
Moonrhino

I have posted on this.

Have you tried it at a telephone box Wi-Fi or a Starbucks?

It seems that some iPhones don't work with some Openzone connections.

Based on google and rumours I believe there may be an incompatability between some iPhones on some versions of the OS and some Cisco routers with certain settings.  Where BT Openzone is provided from a corporate site it doesn't always seem to work.

If this is the problem there is an easy way to check. 

You have tried to connect but the Wi-Fi icon is not showing on the status bar at the top of the phone (it shows 3G or E or o instead).

When you go into Settings, Wi-Fi lists you connected to BT Openzone, when you tap on the Wi-Fi  the next menu shows all the nearby signals with BTOpenzone ticked.

If you tap on the ticked BTOpenzone, in the next menu you will see IP Address = DHCP and the address will be 169.x.x.x. where x represents any old 3 digit number. 

In this situation BT Openzone Wi-Fi should work with a Phonebox Wi-Fi. 

If you are connecting properly but your login credentials aren't working then the IP address will be 10.x.x.x and you get the Wi-Fi icon on the status bar.

I have seen a number of reports of this but they are not collected together or identified as rogue hotspots or people not knowing how to login; so support keep telling me this is the first they have heard of it.

Jonathan

Message 13 of 34 (14,777 Views)
dewidaniels

I've had the same experience.  I've now tried connecting to a number of BT Openzone hotspots using my Vodafone user name and password, but they've been rejected each time.  I just phoned 191 and was told I can only log in to "public hotspots" and that the ones I'd tried must have been "private hotspots".

I found the following FAQ on the Vodafone website: "Can I use my iPhone Wi-Fi allowance at any BT Wi-Fi hotspot? No, you can only use the included service in BT Openzone premium Wi-Fi hotspots. This does not include BT Business or BT FON hotspots, which may either refuse access or charge for it"

The fact that BT uses the same SSID for both BT Openzone and BT Fon hotspots, yet Vodafone users can only use BT Openzone hotspots makes this 'feature' all but useless, in my opinion.

Message 14 of 34 (14,595 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
melkinny360

Hi, 30 Nov 2009 ... Other Apple Devices. Support: ..... BT Openzone works by recognising these devices and offering a special login page comprising of options to select Vodafone as .... I notice you mention that you're using BT FON as well. ....................... melkinny
Message 15 of 34 (14,564 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
melkinny360

Hi,

5 Sep 2009 ... Apple Fanatic. Oh how i love thee apple :smileyhappy:. Skip to content ... of nowhere but at least two other places nearby have BT devices operating on the ... to your normal network, then re-registering the FON/ Openzone networks. 

melkinny

Message 16 of 34 (14,563 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi dewidaniels,

The arrangement we have with BT is for connectivity to the BT Openzone premium hotspots only, not to BTFON or any other type of BT hotspot. However they may be set up, BT have control over the accessibility. Even with Premium Openzone hotspots only included, this is still a large network open for use for free.

You can use BT Openzone's own hotspot map to identify what types of hotspots can be found where.

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 17 of 34 (14,535 Views)
dewidaniels

Dave,

I was able to log successfully into two different BT Openzone premium hotspots at the weekend.  I think my gripe is with BT as much as with Vodafone. My complaint is that BT use the same SSID for BT Openzone Premium and other BT hotspots (including BT FON), so you can't tell whether you can use a particular hotspot unless you connect and look at the login page.

Dewi

Message 18 of 34 (14,468 Views)
barryd999

I signed up this morning for a 12 month contract including 750MB of BT Openzone data.

Are you saying it will only work with Public Openzone hot spots and not the 2 million Openzone user network created by home users all over the UK?  This IS BT Openzone and the whole reason anyone uses its is because of this massive network of home routers sharing through BT Openzone. 

The next thing I find out is that I dont have a standard login that I can use on a laptop for my 750 MB its only through my iPhone which lets be honest has to be sat on top of a router to work.  There is a work around for this in Safari where I can make my laptop pretend to be an iPhone and get on but if your telling me that it cant be used in the 2 million connections throughout the UK but just the ones in town centres then I have been mislead and its of no use to me.

It was the same with Data Traveller.  You can have 25MB a day for a tenner a month but then you find out you cant use it whilst teathered.

Rubbish.

Message 19 of 34 (14,193 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
bertyb

If you signed up and are not happy then you have a 7 day returns period to cancel
Message 20 of 34 (14,190 Views)