Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trying to activate Personal Hotspot on my iPhone 4

cornishboy
2: Seeker
Hi There Could someone please explain why I cannot set up my personal hotspot on my iPhone 4? everytime i attempt to set it up it directs me to a support page on Vodafone website. I am on a SIM only deal which includes 500mb data. Please can someone respond ASAP?
117 REPLIES 117

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cornishboy,

If Settings > Personal hotspot on the iPhone does not show the option to turn the Personal Hotspot on and off, then it sounds like you're not provisioned for tethering with your phone. This is included for free with our latest iPhone plans, including SIM only deals, but if you're on an older one then we'd need to take a look to see if that can be activated.

So we can do that, I'm popping you an email to get your account details.

Dave

I do have the personal hotspot setup on my iPhone 4 with iOS5. The problem is that it does not do anything. I have just agreed a new more expensive contract on the basis that this worked! Will have to cancel if no solution in next 4 days

Hi experiencing this same issue - can't setup mobile hotspot on iphone 4s on an account that previously worked fine with an HTC for tethering.

Please could a tech/mod email me to investigate and remedy

Thanks

Hi Vaughn_74,

As tethering goes through a different access point on the iPhone it sounds like your account isn’t setup correctly.

So we can check this you can see how to contact the team here..

James

Sent from my iPad

pshephard

Hey all,

I am having the same problem too.  Would there be a way for me to get onto one of these "new" plans with inclusive tethering as well?

Thanks

Paul

Grayman
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi Andyrm and pshephard,

@ andyrm, when you say it is set up, what happens when you try and go into the personal hotspot option on the phone?   Does it say it is turned on, or does it direct you to a webpage to get it set up?  Have you tried updating the operating system on the iPhone, or restoring it through iTunes, and if so, did it change anything?

@ pshephard, a quick call to your customer services team, or calling into your local Vodafone store should be able to get the service added to your number (if it is not already there), and it can take up to 24 hours to put the access point on the network and you would need to update on the network by perfomring a manual roam ( settings, carrier, take tick from automatic, select non Vodafone network, put tick back into automatic)

Hope this helps

Grayman

Hi andyrm and pshephard

So that I can just check things account side for you, I’ll send you an email over shortly so that we can get this sorted for you. All you need to do is hit reply and fill in all of the information it asks for. We’ll then get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Wayne

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here

samastrike

Hi

I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 5 and I would like to set up the mobile hotspot/tethering feature. When I select it in the settings it prompts me to go to somewhere on the vodafone site (www.vodafone.co.uk/help/iphone) I go there and it asks me to select my iPhone version. I have no idea what to do after that as it just seems to be answers to pretty basic questions, none of them are how to activate tethering.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for there or send a different link to activate tethering?