cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

blacklisted with "Insurance claim" - what does it mean? can it be legally fixed?

marcellen
2: Seeker

Dear Vodafone support,

I bought over eBay an iPhone 4 which I later discovered that is blacklisted with an "Insurance claim" (but it is NOT stolen, fortunately..). 

What does it mean? Is there an official legal way to fix the black list, and later unlock the phone? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hello marcellen

Phones are not blacklisted for no reason, usually because the phone has been reported lost or stolen and is the subject of an insurance claim in which case the phone is now the property of the insurance company. Very often the phone works for a while and the seller then reports the phone lost and makes an insurance claim. Unfortunately, it one of the best scams on ebay.

If the seller refuses to cooperate, and you paid by PayPal, you will need to make a report and get your money back that way.

Its dishonest sellers like the one you have been sold a phone from which let the site down and make it difficult for honest sellers who genuinly have a phone to sell.

There is nothing which can be done to remove the blacklisting and only the person who requested it can have it removed.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS

Hello marcellen

Phones are not blacklisted for no reason, usually because the phone has been reported lost or stolen and is the subject of an insurance claim in which case the phone is now the property of the insurance company. Very often the phone works for a while and the seller then reports the phone lost and makes an insurance claim. Unfortunately, it one of the best scams on ebay.

If the seller refuses to cooperate, and you paid by PayPal, you will need to make a report and get your money back that way.

Its dishonest sellers like the one you have been sold a phone from which let the site down and make it difficult for honest sellers who genuinly have a phone to sell.

There is nothing which can be done to remove the blacklisting and only the person who requested it can have it removed.

I see what you mean, there must be a good reason for blacklisting..

But I did a checkmend (www.checkmend.com/uk/verify) and the phone is NOT reported as LOST, therefore not STOLEN nor LOST. 

So... what is behind this "Insurance claim"?

By the way, I posted an Unlock Code Request Form [#9861544], let's see if the NUC team is able to find out what's wrong in the IMEI, and eventually a solution to unlock. 

Official answer via email from Vodafone support, [#9857621].

"I understand your concern; however, I would like to confirm that we only blacklist the IMEI if the owner of the phone contacts us regarding the stolen handset. I would like to confirm that the IMEI xxxx is on the blacklist.
If you have any proof of purchase which states the ownership of the phone under your name then get back to us with the scanned copy in PDF format and we will unblacklist the IMEI."

So it was indeed a stolen device... sometimes I hate eBay !!!

Arsal96
Please can i get the vodafone support email address ?
ASAP!

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

There is no email support but you can write to Vodafone at the address att the foot of this page.