Support:

iPhone 4s and earlier

Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
Lockstock74
Accepted Solution

iCloud backup

Quick Q about iCloud.

I am thinking about restoring my phone as a new phone rather than a backup of my old one as the battery is much worse than my 3GS. Losing probably twice as much battery with the 4s and only real difference is iCloud for emails which was suggested to be better for data than fetch email- maybe not for battery though!

I have around 25-30gb of games on my phone and don't want to lose progress on some of these, but as iCloud only comes with 5gb free is there any way I can keep my progress when setting up as a new phone?

Thanks in advance, Mark
Message 1 of 8 (2,862 Views)
Rank 20: Instructor IV
chrisdeeming1

Re: iCloud backup

Hi Mark,

Push e-mail should be better for battery also. I have two push email accouts and have no problems.

This is a tricky one I think.

To get away from that 5GB limit you'd be able to backup everything to iTunes.

But I'm not sure how you'd go about retrieving the saved game data.
Message 2 of 8 (2,812 Views)
chrisdeeming1

This product may help:

http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/

I'm not sure how much access you have without jailbreaking your phone but it's worth a look.
Message 3 of 8 (2,809 Views)
chrisdeeming1

[ Edited ]

Hmm, it crashes on Windows 7.

it was recommended here: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/22/how-to-transfer-game-saves-between-ios-devices-without-itunes/

EDIT:

Got it working, does seem like it could do what you want it to do.

Connect iPhone > Change Mount Point > Apps then choose your App.

You can then copy the content out of there and presumably copy it over to a new device, or a clean device (probably after downloading the app properly from the store first).

It's going to cost £12 though.

Message 4 of 8 (2,808 Views)
Lockstock74

Thanks for this Chris.

I will have a think about trying this method, and in the meantime contact the developers of the main games I am concerned with, and see if they have suggestions.

I have a few IAPs that I dont want to lose also, as I have been burnt by this before.
Message 5 of 8 (2,778 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
annemarie1

I am looking at getting a ipad and I know you can get 5gb on the icloud but the cost of paying for more space with the icloud is a bit on the expensive side. I was wondering if you would be able to back up or store on the actual "cloud" not the "icloud"? Because it is more cost effective and I can use it with my PC and other adroid devices.

Message 6 of 8 (2,751 Views)
Lockstock74

Hi Annemarie1,

Are you looking to be able to share your apps and music between iOS devices, as you can do this via iTunes on your pc, and you can share your iTunes purchases across 5 computers?

iCloud I can see as being useful for sharing contacts, music, emails etc but not really for any large amount of data.

With the wireless sync it is much easier to backup and add items back onto your device than previously.

Sorry if I haven't answered your query but let me know exactly what you want to use iCloud for and hopefully we can help you more.

Thanks, Mark
Message 7 of 8 (2,739 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi annemarie1,

Obviously the iCloud won't help with linking with your android devices, and the apps purchased on the iPad will not  run on the Android OS, however in some cases such as Kindle, media purchased for one will be usable on both as long as you use the equivalent app and the same login details. Because of this the best solution, if there is one, will come down to what type of data you want to share between them.

The ability to back up to the iCloud is built into iOS5 as the alternative to backing up to your PC, MAC or laptop. If you do require extra space without buying more storage, though, the computer does remain the alternate option.

For data such as contacts, this also enables you to use third party functions such as Google contacts or your inbuilt address book as a go-between to allow you to pass information between the incompatible devices.

If you are interested in gettiong an iPad, reply back to the email I've sent you and our guys will contact you to arrange a deal!

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 8 (2,707 Views)