Support:

iPhone 4s and earlier

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Venomrush

iPhone 4 - Carrier Settings Update

Hello

Today while using my unlocked iPhone4 which I bought from Apple, I received a message saying there are new settings available from the carrier aka Vodafone and asked me to Update.

I thought this was odd as this only happens when the network tries to lock or unlocked the phone.

As mine is already unlocked, I don't understand why I got that message, could it be that Vodafone is attempting to lock my unlocked iPhone4 to the Vodafone network only?

Please could someone at Vodafone verify what was going on with the carrier settings update today for the iPhone4.

Many thanks.
Message 1 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
ahj1987

No not at all.

Vodafone cannot do this, you have purchased the handset legitimately so have nothing to worry about.

Was this message a text message, if so, they are just making sure you are using the correct and most up to date carrier settings, en-light of the recent press conference and their awareness of the issue.

I assume its and instructions to ensure you are operating your iPhone on the latest carrier settings.
Old Jobbies said "You wanted free cases, so were going to give you free cases" - that's right all 3 Million of you 'lucky' iPhone 4 owners will get a freebie!

check out more here www.apple.com/antenna

time to make room on your coffee table for the iPad! it's phenomenal!!
Message 2 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Venomrush,

You don't need to worry, if your phone is unlocked then we can't and won't attempt to lock it.

The Carrier settings message is being rolled out to make sure all of the settings in the phone are correct to connect to the network correctly, this is simply part of routine network maintenace to make sure all of our customers have access to the network correctly. :)

James
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Montala

The Carrier settings message is being rolled out to make sure all of the settings in the phone are correct to connect to the network correctly, this is simply part of routine network maintenace to make sure all of our customers have access to the network correctly.

James
eForum Team

Thanks James, but is there any way that customers who have not yet received this message can manually 'force' their iPhone to update the carrier settings?

Just to be sure, as it were, that everything is as it should be!
Message 4 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
TsarLiam

Hi Montala

I hadn't had the notification either, but upon reading a similar thread yesterday I went into Settings>General>About on my iPhone to check what version I had. Upon doing so I then received an on-screen prompt to update the carrier settings. If you do go to that screen look where it says Carrier. If next to this it states 'vodafone UK 7.1' then you already have the latest update (I think one of the mods mentioned somewhere that your phone automatically gets the latest updates when you connect to iTunes so it's possible you already have it).
Message 5 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Montala

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your reply... I did as you suggested, and did indeed then get on-screen prompt.

Although I told it to go ahead, nothing really seemed to happen, and when I scrolled down to the 'Carrier' settings it was showing Vodafone UK 7.1 so perhaps I already had the latest update!

All seems well anyway, which is the main thing I suppose, and I have actually noticed an increse in battery life since I updated the OS to version 4 (and then to 4.0.1) which is an additional bonus, I suppose!
Message 6 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
TsarLiam

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your reply... I did as you suggested, and did indeed then get on-screen prompt.

Although I told it to go ahead, nothing really seemed to happen, and when I scrolled down to the 'Carrier' settings it was showing Vodafone UK 7.1 so perhaps I already had the latest update!

All seems well anyway, which is the main thing I suppose, and I have actually noticed an increse in battery life since I updated the OS to version 4 (and then to 4.0.1) which is an additional bonus, I suppose!

Yeah that sounds right - nothing noticeable happens after you accept the update except the carrier number changes. Glad you're battery life has improved with the updates. You can also use an app called Battery Doctor when charging your phone to force a Full Cycle Charge which can boost battery performance and prolong its life. People with older phones seem to have noticed an improvement after using it.
Message 7 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Montala

Thanks again... I do actually already use Battery Doctor, and have in fact being doing so for some time now.

I was pleased to see that, like many other apps, they were fairly quick to release an iOS4 update, and as you say, it is indeed quite a useful little app!
Message 8 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Thanks James, but is there any way that customers who have not yet received this message can manually 'force' their iPhone to update the carrier settings?

Just to be sure, as it were, that everything is as it should be!

Hi Montala,

Connecting the phone to iTunes and pressing the "Update" button in the Sync options will force the carrier settings to be downloaded according to whatever SIM card is present at the time. Occasionally these carrier settings are also built into firmware updates, so updating your iPhone's firmware will also update carrier settings at the same time :)

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 9 of 16 (8,165 Views)
madajha

Hi Montala,

Connecting the phone to iTunes and pressing the "Update" button in the Sync options will force the carrier settings to be downloaded according to whatever SIM card is present at the time. Occasionally these carrier settings are also built into firmware updates, so updating your iPhone's firmware will also update carrier settings at the same time :)

Jon

eForum Team

im having major issues with this at the moment, ive had no signal for 4 hours and i cant fix it. ive downloaded the update and done as i should have done but it still wont work....what do i do now?
Message 10 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

im having major issues with this at the moment, ive had no signal for 4 hours and i cant fix it. ive downloaded the update and done as i should have done but it still wont work....what do i do now?

Hi Madajha,

This is unlikely to be an activation or carrier settings issue - can you please answer the questions that we've asked you in your other thread here?

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 11 of 16 (8,165 Views)
gary.shilvock

I've been having some weird problems with the carrier update too..

I plug the iphone into my mac and open itunes and get the 'theres a carrier update' pop up. I apply that, reboot the phone and plug it back into the mac and get the 'there's a carrier update' pop up again. This happens every time I plug the iphone in, regardless of whether I apply the update or not.

If I go into settings->general->about on the phone the carrier shows as 'vodafone UK 7.0' (I believe 7.1 is the latest one which its trying to apply). I have had a pop up here too saying theres a carrier update but tapping 'apply' doesnt seem to do anything as its stays on 7.0 (even after rebooting the phone)

Tried a reset of the network settings but that wipes the cellular data and MMS settings out and I have to re-enter them manually.

Any ideas on how I can get this updated to 7.1?
Message 12 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there Gary09,

If this is happening all the time then I'd maybe suggest you try a rest of the handset. If this fails then move on to a restore and try again.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team
Message 13 of 16 (8,165 Views)
gary.shilvock

Hi LeeH

Tried a reset of the handset (leaving the data intact) but that didn't work. Also tried a factory reset and then restoring a backup but it still wouldn't apply the carrier update. However I tried a factory reset and *didnt* restore my backup (ie set the phone up as a new phone) and that let me update to 7.1 so it looks like I had a corrupt backup?

Anyway, its on 7.1 now - I just need to resync stuff over from iTunes.

Cheers for the suggestions :)
Message 14 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
sack.ghirl

When I check my network it just says Vodafone UK. I can't even do anything with itunes because neither itunes or my netbook are recognising my iphone and its only happened since I downloaded the carrier update.
Message 15 of 16 (8,165 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi sack.ghirl

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that your computer is not recognising your phone.

Can you try all the USB ports on your netbook?

Do other devices work via USB on your netbook?

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing iTunes to see if this rectifies the problem?

Please let me know and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 16 of 16 (8,165 Views)