Support:

iPhone 4s and earlier

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
dwrighty

iPhone 4 - how do i activate it?

Yes, you need to wait for the porting to take effect (usually within 48 working hours).

Hi Myrm

Thank you very much for clarifying that - you should work for Vodafone CS!!

Thanks again

- D
Message 21 of 128 (16,585 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Myrm

Hi Myrm

Thank you very much for clarifying that - you should work for Vodafone CS!!

Thanks again

- D

Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 22 of 128 (16,585 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Hi dwrighty

Thanks to Myrm, he was spot on. :)

Your number has to port firstly. It's normally 48 hours for this to happen, but you should of being given an activation date, after giving in your PAC code.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team
Message 23 of 128 (16,585 Views)
johnhriley

Hi dwrighty

Thanks to Myrm, he was spot on. :)

Your number has to port firstly. It's normally 48 hours for this to happen, but you should of being given an activation date, after giving in your PAC code.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

Trev,

I ordered my iphone online and put my o2 PAC code in on the order form. So far I've had nothing at all in the form of contact from vodaphone apart from dispatch emails. Could you look into and find out when my number is due to change over? Saves me carrying both my phones about with me.

Many thanks,

John
Message 24 of 128 (16,585 Views)
J4man!

I received my iPhone 4 yesterday around lunch time after ordering by phone.

I was previously on Vodafone PAYG and opted to keep my number.

I put the SIM in and connected to iTunes, where I followed the on screen instructions etc.

Then I waited....

Later in the day it was still not activated so I thought maybes I had missed something and filled out the online form with both SIM numbers etc.

Left it over night and all day today, its now been well over 24hours, my old phone/SIM is still working as normal and the iPhone is still showing: No Service (Waiting for activation: this may take some time)

Just worried I've missed something obvious?

Any clues or do I just have to wait longer?

Cheers for any help!

B-)
Message 25 of 128 (16,585 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
swlines

Trev,

I got my phone on Friday but haven't been given any information about an activation date by SMS or e-mail - can you look into this for me? My order email is the same as the email attached to my eForum account. I have no idea what my VF customer number or anything like that is!!

Thanks
Message 26 of 128 (16,585 Views)
GordonUK

Trev,

I got my phone on Friday but haven't been given any information about an activation date by SMS or e-mail - can you look into this for me? My order email is the same as the email attached to my eForum account. I have no idea what my VF customer number or anything like that is!!

Thanks

Hi Trev.

I am the same. I have had no correspondence of what I should do next or when my number will be ported.

Have I missed something?

G
MacBook Pro - iPad - iPhone - Apple TV - iPod Touch
Message 27 of 128 (16,585 Views)
tomob37

Same with me Trev, bought yesterday through Carphone Warehouse, gave in o2 PAC code at time of purchase, they told me it'd be fully operational even while waiting for porting to complete. No correspondence of any kind since, no texts from VF or anything. Just called VF customer services who have no record of my number on the system, told me that the Porting team aren't working because its a bank holiday (?) and that it could take me up to 30 days to get activated. Now I know that's not right, but I'd like some indication of when it'll port, even narrowing it down to a day, because its impossible for me to activate the phone through itunes while I'm at work, and it'll cause me a fair few problems if I don't have access to a phone for a day.

Hi Trev.

I am the same. I have had no correspondence of what I should do next or when my number will be ported.

Have I missed something?

G
Message 28 of 128 (16,585 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
jamesrt2004

Same with me Trev, bought yesterday through Carphone Warehouse, gave in o2 PAC code at time of purchase, they told me it'd be fully operational even while waiting for porting to complete. No correspondence of any kind since, no texts from VF or anything. Just called VF customer services who have no record of my number on the system, told me that the Porting team aren't working because its a bank holiday (?) and that it could take me up to 30 days to get activated. Now I know that's not right, but I'd like some indication of when it'll port, even narrowing it down to a day, because its impossible for me to activate the phone through itunes while I'm at work, and it'll cause me a fair few problems if I don't have access to a phone for a day.

well it's the weekend at the moment when they don't work but I would personally say 48 hours from when you ordered it, so if its not done on Monday I would just ring up and get through to the porting team (normal CS wont have that info until it goes through anyway lol)
James Thomas
Message 29 of 128 (16,585 Views)
dwrighty

well it's the weekend at the moment when they don't work but I would personally say 48 hours from when you ordered it, so if its not done on Monday I would just ring up and get through to the porting team (normal CS wont have that info until it goes through anyway lol)

I am actually quite annoyed by this.

Because Vodafone don't give temporary numbers out I am now paying for a service I can't use. I would have gone for a new number had I known.

As soon as it's sorted (or by Tuesday) I will be looking for some form on compensation. I really am beginning to wonder if I should have stayed with O2.

At no point had i seen anywhere that I wouldn't be able to use my phone until the porting of my number had happened.

And if course it would cost me to ring them as I can't use 191.

My phone is just sitting there not being used!!

- D
Message 30 of 128 (16,585 Views)
tomob37

Dwrighty - VF have confirmed to me that I won't be charged until porting has completed.

I am actually quite annoyed by this.

Because Vodafone don't give temporary numbers out I am now paying for a service I can't use. I would have gone for a new number had I known.

As soon as it's sorted (or by Tuesday) I will be looking for some form on compensation. I really am beginning to wonder if I should have stayed with O2.

At no point had i seen anywhere that I wouldn't be able to use my phone until the porting of my number had happened.

And if course it would cost me to ring them as I can't use 191.

My phone is just sitting there not being used!!

- D
Message 31 of 128 (16,585 Views)
michaelyork30

I too gave in my PAC number online and have not received any date of porting, is this done after the phone has been despatched or is it possible for me to be without a phone for (potentially) 3 weeks?
Message 32 of 128 (16,585 Views)
olliekav

No correspondence from Vodaphone for me either. I moved over from o2 for better reception but I have to say the Customer Service from Vodaphone is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. Really bad. I should NOT be holding for 40min paying on my other phone just to find out when my number will be ported because Vodaphone cannot keep customers in the loop.

At least o2 keep you constantly updated when you are waiting for something to happen.
Message 33 of 128 (16,585 Views)
markmarkmark

J4man! - I have exactly the same problem. Recieved my iphone on saturday, did the iphone simswap thing on the internet. checked and double checked I have put in the right numbers, got 2(?!) confirmation emails back. Waited until sunday morning. Old phone was still working, iphone "waiting for activation" I phoned up Vodafone and they said it'll be another 24 hours.

It's still not working 25 hours after that.

Sorry this message can't answer your problem! But just to let you know, you're not the only one!

I received my iPhone 4 yesterday around lunch time after ordering by phone.

I was previously on Vodafone PAYG and opted to keep my number.

I put the SIM in and connected to iTunes, where I followed the on screen instructions etc.

Then I waited....

Later in the day it was still not activated so I thought maybes I had missed something and filled out the online form with both SIM numbers etc.

Left it over night and all day today, its now been well over 24hours, my old phone/SIM is still working as normal and the iPhone is still showing: No Service (Waiting for activation: this may take some time)

Just worried I've missed something obvious?

Any clues or do I just have to wait longer?

Cheers for any help!

B-)
Message 34 of 128 (16,585 Views)
joewells

I received my phone on Friday as a new customer, porting my number from o2.
I got a text on friday saying my number porting would take place at 4pm on the 28th,
As of about 30minutes ago (11:30am) my o2 sim (in my old iphone) has lost connectivity, and I don't have anything yet on my Vodafone microsim.

Connected to itunes I get "waiting for activation"

- Do I need to do anything at all at this point? (I haven't filled in any web forms etc.)
- I can't register for my vodafone at the moment..says there is a problem with the system, so no worries there

I just want to be sure it will happen at some point, although I'm a bit disappointed I now have no mobile signal at all on 2 phones!

(not that o2 switching me off is your fault!)
Message 35 of 128 (16,585 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
swlines

Didn't get a text, but my O2 sim has now deactivated ... nor has my Vodafone SIM activated. I presume the port is taking place today...!
Message 36 of 128 (16,585 Views)
marwood314

I'm in the same position. My O2 SIM went off around an hour ago. But my Vodafone SIM still says "Waiting for activation".

I thought it was "when your old SIM goes off, you know your new one is active" ?

At the moment, dialling my mobile number gets "The number you have dialled has not been recognised".

Message 37 of 128 (16,585 Views)
joewells

that was what I thought happened..
Don't remember the number being off for any length of time on previous occasions..
may be wrong though :)
Message 38 of 128 (16,585 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz_V

Hey guys,

If this happens (both SIMs are showing no service) this is a good sign and means your port is happening. It may take an hour or so - keep switching your new iPhone 4 on and off. Some services like SMS, MMS, will follow the number through the day so don't worry if you find a few niggles in cell service immediately.

Keep us updated,

Daz

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 39 of 128 (16,585 Views)
joewells

excellent, thanks for the reply
I will keep trying and let you know if nothing has happened by later this afternoon!
Message 40 of 128 (16,585 Views)