Support:

iPhone 4s and earlier

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
mf4746

iPhone 4S - calls failed

Hi 

Very frustrated. I'm unable to make calls and instead get a 'Call Failed' message on my iPhone 4S that I've only had for a few months. I took it in to Apple this morning and they said it could be any number of issues, from the phone to network, sim card and so on. But they were good enough to replace it for me on the spot.

I took it home and restored it and guess what? Can't make calls!

I tried to call Vodafone on 08700 700191 from my landline - three times I called and went through the annoying options and three times I was hung up on before I got to speak to someone. Suppose that's one way to reduce the call queues.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to get this sorted? I have a work Blackberry on Vodafone and it's making calls just fine. Please do not direct me to the Network Troubleshooting thread - I've been there and there's nothing there that has helped.

Is this a common/known issue with the iPhone 4S, or is it an issue with Vodafone?

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the iPhone/call issue, but the fact I can't get through from my landline to speak to someone makes it even more frustrating.

Marcus

Message 1 of 16 (9,125 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

Re: iPhone 4S - calls failed

As Apple have given you a replacement phone that rules out a few issues.

Your next step is to go into a Vodafone store and ask them to replace the sim card with a new one (or do it by post). Have you any friends who have an iPhone that you can try your exisiting sim card in to rule out a problem with the sim?

Message 2 of 16 (9,120 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi mf4746

Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome to the eForum.

Please could you take a look at our Network Issues thread and post your results back here as this would help with any investigation.

The reason we ask you to post your results back here is so we can identify whether it is a device, network or SIM fault and provides additional information so we can investigate.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 16 (9,114 Views)
mf4746

I have completed the survey below. Just to clarify, the Call Failed issue happens randomly from time to time. Eventually, after some time I am able to make a call, but it can be 30-60 minutes after trying several times before I am able to make a call successfully. I usually try turning the phone off and on as well as flicking to flight mode and back but it does not fix the problem... It just eventually starts working again but the problem happens quite frequently.

1). Does the issue happen in just one location?

No

2). Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I don't have another phone to try the SIM in.

3). Can you check your coverage here? Please bear in mind that this is only a guideline and can never be 100% accurate, particularly for indoor coverage.

Result: Good indoors

4). Can you check our Faults Board, which contains all the mast issues we’re aware of.

Don't see anything about a fault in my area. 

5). Does this issue happen on 2G/3G or both. To check this, you can amend your phone's network settings, our Help Centre contains all the instructions, just select your model of phone and then select "network".

Both

6). What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs (if you’re uncomfortable with this appearing on the forum, then please add it to your profile by clicking “My eForum Settings” on the front page and then selecting “Personal Information”

It happens regardless of area - sometimes at my home N5 1ST, and sometimes at work and surrounding area EC4M 6YQ.

7). How far you have to travel to get signal

N/A - I can have full bars/signal and still experince the issue.

8). Do you get any error messages/tones if you’re having problems with calling/texting

Yes - iPhone shows: "Call Failed"

Message 4 of 16 (9,112 Views)
mf4746

Hello Vodafone...? Over to you... As per my original post I tried three times to call for help with no luck so I'm relying on this internet forum for assistance. Where to from here?

Message 5 of 16 (9,078 Views)
kids

mf4746 wrote:

Hello Vodafone...? Over to you... As per my original post I tried three times to call for help with no luck so I'm relying on this internet forum for assistance. Where to from here?

As per an earlier post; Either pop into a Vodafone shop and ask for a new sim card which they can activate and test while you are there or order a new sim from CS. Until you rule out the problem of a dodgy sim card anything else you do may do more harm than good.

Message 6 of 16 (9,075 Views)
mf4746

Hi Kids
I do appreciate you taking the time to respond, but I'm really looking for Vodafone to assist. I will get in to a store tomorrow if need be, but I expect Vodafone to be helping here. The only reason I have posted on an open forum is because I couldn't get through their call centre, and I've tried the Vodafone email service not long ago with another issue I had and apart from taking two days to respond to each email, the responses I received were completely useless.
Message 7 of 16 (9,072 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi mf4746

Thank you for your post and the additional information.:smileyhappy:

kids is spot on here (thank you) and so we can check the SIM with a new one I have sent you a Private Message to respond to and either myself or one of the team will be in touch as soon as we can.

It can take time for us to get to your email so visiting your local store may be a quicker option however we are here to help and would love to see this resolved.

You can find your PM inbox here.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 16 (9,062 Views)
mf4746

Hi DaveCD,

I went in to my nearest Vodafone store (Cheapside) - I was told that the problem is most likely to due to Vodafone upgrade works to its 3G service, so if 3G is intermittantly unavailable the iPhone has trouble flicking down to 2G. I was told to manually turn off 3G via settings and I should be able to make calls no problem.

It's quite annpying that I need to enable or disable 3G depending on whether I am using the phone for calls or web browsing.

I'll give the manual work-around a try and see if it works (hard to tell at this stage becuase the Call Fail issue only happens from time to time).

DaveCD - were you not aware of these Vodafone "upgrades" and the potential issues with the iPhone?

Message 9 of 16 (9,026 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
jeffkinn

I'm sorry but I think that is very poor advice.. The iPhone has no problem in stepping up and down between 2G and 3G.

Whatever your problem is, that is not the cause.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 10 of 16 (9,024 Views)
kids

I agree with jefkinn, you have been given poor advice. I have never had an iPhone that has trouble switching from 3G to 2G.

You have already said in an earlier post that the problem happens with 2G as well as 3G and the upgrading of networks goes on all of the time so if that was the cause of the problem there would have been a lot more complaints about it.

What you do not say is whether Vodafone changed your sim card for a new one, until that happens the main culprit for the problem would still appear to be in the sim.

Message 11 of 16 (9,021 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
JSK73

@mf4746

You didn't say if VF replaced you Sim card?

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 12 of 16 (9,007 Views)
agentunited

This issue occurs to me as well. Not only to me, but also six of my mates who have iPhone 4S and on vodafone network. All 7 iPhones can't be faulty to put a blame on Apple.

If we disable the 3G, then calls goes absolutely fine without any issues, but when we are on the 3G, more than 75% time the calls are failed. We are frustrated like anything, it doesnt happen to my other mates who are on O2 with 4S, so the issue is only due to Vodafone 3G network. It's a pathetic solution to switch off 3G before making even 10sec call, then revert back it to use data.

Message 13 of 16 (8,926 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi agentunited,

Thanks for your post here.

Can you confirm if the 3G issues occur at the same locations or does it happen everywhere?

If localised, please let me know the postcode so that we can check the local sites.

Also, please can you let me know how many bars of 3G signal you have when you notice the calls failing?

James

Message 14 of 16 (8,883 Views)
agentunited

Hi James,

I experience the same set issues regularly irrespective of the place. Home, office, my mates home, outing...everywhere I've full 3G signal with my 4S, but calls getting failed (abt 95% time) whilst I'm on 3G. Once I switch off the 3G, call connects immediately never failed even once while I’m on 2G.

Not sure the exact reason, but something strange happening with Vodafone or Apple iOS 5.1.1 update screwed us all. I never experienced this issue myself before iOS 5.1.1 update though my mates had this issue for a while.

Message 15 of 16 (8,847 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi agentunited 

Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome to the eForum.:smileyhappy:

I understand this is frustrating for you and I have taken a look at your information where can see you are in the E14 area, we currently have three known issues which are on our Faults Board so this would indicate a network related fault.

If you subscribe to the threads you will be notified of any changes as they happen.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 16 of 16 (8,807 Views)