Support:

iPhone 4s and earlier

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
jordan72

iPhone - Grindr App stops working on 3G

Hi All

I can't help but ask myself some questions over this whole issue -

Is it due to the new iphone operating system, was Grindr ready for it?
Is Grindr a victim of their own success in not having systems that can deal with the volume of users?
Will Grindr learn anything from this, such as being easier to contact?
Why haven't Grindr posted anything on here?
Why after the last issue in March haven't Vodafone and Grindr been able to set up better communication channels so their customers know whats going on?
Will those of us who have already taken out a full years subscription be compensated in some way?
Will we be told what was to blame and what will be done to prevent it from happening again?

A friend of mine has just joined Vodafone after i told him how good their customer service is, and although you guys are taking the time out to post on here, you're not really (apart from that it's a DNS problem - whats that?) giving us any answers that have information attached. Even if your not to blame you could still let us know what, as a business you guys are doing to sort this out for us.

Sadly I do feel that this issue would be given more priority and urgency if it were Facebook your customers couldn't use.
Message 121 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Jamie5899

Lol. It won't work for another month causeits vodafone problem but blaming grindr. It's gonnago in a circle. If it was grindrs problem other networks wouldn't be able to connect to grindr.
Message 122 of 147 (33,074 Views)
jordan72

Hi Jon

Thanks for giving us this update. Can you tell us when the work will happen? How long it will take? What conversation you have had with Grindr about making sure this doesn't happen again? How your customers should go about claming compensation from either yourselves or Grindr?

Regards

Jordan72
Message 123 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Hi all,

I now have the case reference for this issue for you - it is HD 1605803

Our support team emailed Grindr's Project Manager who alerted us to the issue on the 24th, asking them to confirm some details necessary to resolve the issue - however, we have not yet had a response.

It would appear that Grindr have once again changed the chat server they use (the same chat server whose IP address changed and caused the problem last time around). They have now changed the DNS details as well, and the changes have not properly propagated out to all ISP's.

We are just waiting to hear confirmation on the new chat server address, if the ports in use have changed at all, and if it is still using the Jabber protocol.

As soon as we have a response from Grindr we will be able to progress, but until then I'm afraid I am unable to offer any timescales.

I trust this clarifies the issue.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 124 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Carl_stoke

This issue must be affecting 100's is not 1000's of Vodafone/Grindr customer. Vodafone, please can you update your DNS servers and remove any blocks on those IP's. This sort of work litterally takes seconds to fix, i can appreciate it can take time to replicate out, but thats never going to be in access of 24 hours.
Please can this be addressed urgently!
Message 125 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Moretonlad

Yawn......yawn............yawn..............yawn...........yawn.................yawn...............yawn

You know, I send a lot of emails...and if I don't hear back after no read receipt, I tend to re-send.....
I am fairly sure this isn't rocket science...but hey I may be wrong ^^
Message 126 of 147 (33,074 Views)
u3p03

I too am having the same problems.

I did notice a pop up message on Grindr yesterday saying that I should download their update which I presume/hope fixes the problem and leads me to believe it is indeed an issue with Grindr itself. However, there is no update yet available in the App Store (perhaps not yet approved by Apple?) for me to download.

Although this is frustrating, those screaming homophobia (though I think I've only read one post doing so) are being extremely petty and over-sensitive.
Message 127 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi guys,

I've just taken a look at the case reference and can see that it is being updated on a daily basis so we are trying our best to resolve the issue. At the moment, it looks like we're awaiting information from Grindr. As soon as we know more, we'll let you know.

George
eForum Team
Message 128 of 147 (33,074 Views)
u3p03

I'm assuming this thread has gone silent as it now appears to be working. Just thought I'd check back to say thanks to those who were helping to get it fixed. :)
Message 129 of 147 (33,074 Views)
007mantis

I corresponded with Grindr today and it looks as though this was not purely a Vodafone fault as it was affecting users outside the UK on networks other than Vodafone.

It looks as though it may have been a DNS Server / IP range problem which has been fixed by Grindr.

I'm just glad its working again.
Message 130 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Rank 20: Instructor IV
RupertTheFridge

I corresponded with Grindr today and it looks as though this was not purely a Vodafone fault as it was affecting users outside the UK on networks other than Vodafone.

It looks as though it may have been a DNS Server / IP range problem which has been fixed by Grindr.

I'm just glad its working again.

Mmmmmmm. Interesting read that. Just waiting for all those who were shouting at Vodafone to come along and say sorry, as they were 100% incorrect in their assumptions. Funny how some people are quick to point the finger, but not so speedy to admit they were wrong.
Message 131 of 147 (33,074 Views)
wilsonliam

Many thanks for fixing the issues Vodafone!

An 11 year customer v.happy now!
Message 132 of 147 (33,074 Views)
valerio

I have an Iphone 4g and it's still not working.... Am I doing anything wrong?!?
Message 133 of 147 (33,074 Views)
chrisj1070

Hi I seem to be having this problem. i only got my 3gs handset last week and it will not load grindr when on 3G but works fine on wi-fi.. when i try and log on via 3g it will let me but it shows that no one is online!
Can anyone help please?
Message 134 of 147 (33,074 Views)
valerio

So it's not only me then... I'm still experiencing this kind of problem... Can anyone please advise?

Thanks!
Message 135 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Hi guys,

The case we had open for this was found to be a DNS issue at Grindr's side. No fault was found with the Vodafone network, and we were informed that the issue had been resolved by Grindr.

If you are still experiencing problems with this application, please contact Grindr support directly for assistance. If they find a fault that lies on our side of things, they have our contact details and will approach us again as needed - however, that does not appear to be the case here :)

I trust this helps.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 136 of 147 (33,074 Views)
007mantis

Hi guys,

The case we had open for this was found to be a DNS issue at Grindr's side. No fault was found with the Vodafone network, and we were informed that the issue had been resolved by Grindr.

If you are still experiencing problems with this application, please contact Grindr support directly for assistance. If they find a fault that lies on our side of things, they have our contact details and will approach us again as needed - however, that does not appear to be the case here :)

I trust this helps.

Jon

eForum Team

One quick point guys - If you've recently got a new Iphone4, it may have Adult content pre blocked on it as a Vodafone default. A colleague had this problem and a quick call to Voda customer support got the Adult content bar lifted straight away.

Those of you still having Grindr problems should check with Voda to make sure this bar hasn't been activated with your new phone.

Ben
Bristol.

Message 137 of 147 (33,074 Views)
hitmouse

One quick point guys - If you've recently got a new Iphone4, it may have Adult content pre blocked on it as a Vodafone default. A colleague had this problem and a quick call to Voda customer support got the Adult content bar lifted straight away.

Those of you still having Grindr problems should check with Voda to make sure this bar hasn't been activated with your new phone.

Ben
Bristol.

OK I have the original 2G iPhone, so definitely not running3G services or iOS4. I have had two Vodafone SIM cards since July 2010, buying my second today 12 October. Neither will allow Grindr (or the similar Scruff) to run. Both apps run fine on my Orange SIM, and on WIFI.

Message 138 of 147 (33,074 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
grocerjack

OK I have the original 2G iPhone, so definitely not running3G services or iOS4. I have had two Vodafone SIM cards since July 2010, buying my second today 12 October. Neither will allow Grindr (or the similar Scruff) to run. Both apps run fine on my Orange SIM, and on WIFI.

Most likely because you don't have 3G capability. For example when I'm on 2G some apps dont work as they cant find a connection to the internet. As most Apps are backed off to IP based networks it could just be that the phone can't run the app the way its designed. If there's no problem on 3G or wi-fi then its unlikely to be a network issue apart from the sheer unsuitability of 2G running data.
Regards, GrocerJack
Message 139 of 147 (33,074 Views)
hitmouse

Most likely because you don't have 3G capability. For example when I'm on 2G some apps dont work as they cant find a connection to the internet. As most Apps are backed off to IP based networks it could just be that the phone can't run the app the way its designed. If there's no problem on 3G or wi-fi then its unlikely to be a network issue apart from the sheer unsuitability of 2G running data.

Absolutely nothing to do with 2G. As I said it already works on my Orange SIM (which doesn't magically confer my phone with 3G powers). I've run Grindr on this phone on other network SIMs here and in other countries.

As it turns out it's ALL Vodafone's doing - the adult content control was put on my SIM. It took ages to get rid of it because Vodafone's registration section was down, and then its web-based content-control removal feature was down. And then because I have a Freedom Pack I can't call Vodafone phone support because their automated voice says I have no calling credit despite having 100 minutes of calling time. In the end I had to drive to a Vodafone outlet and have them remove the block. About ten seconds later Grindr and Scruff both started working again on the Vodafone sim.
Message 140 of 147 (33,074 Views)