Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5c Battery Fail

Tina_Thud_Bump
4: Newbie
I've had my 5c since March 2014. It's been a habit (probably a bad one I don't know) to charge it up overnight & because I use my phone a fair bit during the day for work etc that's been almost every night.

Last Friday my phone inexplicably plunged from 100% charge to 20% & then off completely in a matter of 5 minutes! I was lucky enough to get an appointment straight away at my local Apple Store & their Genius did a diagnostic check on my phone via his laptop & told me my battery was nearly at the end of its life & would need hence the erratic behaviour & so would need replacing (£60 charge from them, £160 from Vodafone - OUCH!).

My question is to check whether this has happened to any of you with your 5c & if it does sound like the battery is failing & not something more serious? Phone works fine but now finding in this last week it's needing to be on charge to use it & even when 3G etc turned off to preserve the battery, it's turning off after just taking a couple of photos :Sad_face:

Just don't want to pay out for a new battery installation (which I have found cheaper from a trusted, independent shop - bad luck for trying to rip me off Voda / Apple) if it might be something else.

Thoughts please?

Thanks so much as always :Smiling:

Tina xx
20 REPLIES 20

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Vodafone does give a 2 year warranty on iPhones as long as Apple confirms that the issue is not caused by the user. This wouldn't cover the battery though.

Apple itself steadfastly refuses to give the 2 year warranty, which frankly is a disgrace.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers
Hi

As per https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/battery-power/

"Out-of-warranty battery service cost:

All iPhone models: £59
Plus a £7.44 shipping fee if this service requires shipping. Fees are in British pounds sterling and include VAT."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@Tina_Thud_Bump wrote:
What do you mean by "swap out" the phone? If you mean loan me one 

Literally that - Apply will take your device and swap it for another refurbished device.  You walk out of the store with a refurbished device and not your original one. 

@Tina_Thud_Bump wrote:
Vodafone only give 1 year warranty on their Apple device

It is a 2 year warranty on their devices.

PWIAC

Tina_Thud_Bump
Ah ok, Apple Genuis did not explain that I would not get my phone back - he made it sound like the battery was being replaced on my existing phone, so I'll have to go in check that with them. Does make the £60 cost a bit more attractive.

As for the Vodafone Warranty (which again is moot due to battery issue) this is this link given to me by their Twitter team just yesterday. Clearly says just 12 months for Apple unless Apple Care taken out: http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Protecting-your-device/Warranty/38948878/When-I-buy-a-device-from-Voda...

Thanks again for all help :Smiling:

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Under EU consumer law Apple are obliged to honour a 2 year mininum warranty of their devices, the fact that they refuse to do so (without extended warranty policy) and get away with it is simply because no court is prepared to enforce the law against Apple.
In Europe they have been fined for not honouring the law and have just paid the fine and gone on their merry way doing the same as before.

Hi

In my experience the iPhone if under 1years warranty and is faulty due to hardware / software and not repairable in house they swap out. The phone is typically in a plain white box with no accessories. They are either new or refurbished.

If it's a battery then the Genius Bar can swap it out.

In both cases its best to create an iCloud back up before attending the appointment.

The link provided by Twitter does support a 12 month support period via Vodafone.

Current Phone  >

You may find this helpful on Warranty and UK Consumer Law.

 link http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Current Phone  >

And if you take a look here  you will see that Apple have admitted that we have additional rights under UK law. 

PWIAC

kids
Over the years I have had many battery fails and never have I had a battery replaced in the same unit. Always the unit has been swopped out. The only exception to this has been on one occasion when they did not have a matching replacement unit and the quickest option rather than wait until new stock arrived was to replace the battery

Tina_Thud_Bump
*Sighs*

Well, having been into Apple Store this morning I was told that it is my phone I get back once battery is replaced & not a different one. So seemingly no "swap". So who do I believe? Going back & forth here & not helping me to decide what's best for me 😕 Definitely putting me off both Apple & Vodafone though!