cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5s "rebooting" constantly when battery dies.

james7bell
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Ive had my iPhone 5s now 2 months. I seem to have a problem when the battery runs out. I charge the phone up again and it comes back to life. But it now flashes between a black screen with the Apple logo and a progress bar and my home page. I can use my phone for about 4 seconds before it flashes back to the black Apple screen, then after about 8/9 seconds my home screen flashes up again.

My battery is currently 87% charged, this happened last night and i turned the phone off while it charged over night. Turned it on again this morning and its doing it all over again.

Ive attached a screenshot of the black Apple screen. Im on 7.1.2, this also happened to me on 7.1.1, both times the battery ran out. Ive tried rebooting by holding home button and power down, but it just starts all over again.

Any help much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@james7bell wrote:

I seem to have a problem when the battery runs out. 

Hi there

If you are constantly running your battery down, you probably have done some serious damage to it.  Modern phone batteries aren't designed to be constantly run flat. It is far better to charge your phone more regularly.  My advice is to try to never allow your battery to run below 20%.

I would take your handset to your nearest Apple Store and get a Genius to take a look at the device.  They are pretty good at sorting out issues on the spot. Don't forget to make an appointment first though.

PWIAC

Its ran out twice since ive had it and both times I am greeting with this booting malarchy. Generally 1 charge will last me all day and i charge it during the night, but on these 2 instances its run completely out.

drey_p

It is possible that you've done some damage to the battery by completely running your battery down. Take the phone to Apple and see what they have to say.

PWIAC

If it is damaged, this doesnt say a lot for Apple's batteries! This happened after the 1st time the battery ran out.

Thanks for your help. Next step, Apple store!

drey_p

TBH, it is nothing to do with Apple's batteries in particular.  This sort of issue will happen with all modern Lithium batteries including the AA or AAA rechargeable batteries you use around the home. Gone are the days where it was good to run the battery right down.

PWIAC

Update.

Ive plugged it into a computer with itunes running and now it is working fine. Any ideas why would this suddenly make it go?

drey_p

No idea - could have been a glitch with the software.  But from everything you described, it sounds like a battery fault.  See how it behaves over the next few days and if you are still having issues, get an Apple Genius to look at it.

PWIAC