You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
bronze84

Can I unlock my iPhone 5 using the sim that was originally from my iPhone 4S.

Hi guys.

Ok, so my scenario.... My iPhone 4S broke beyond economical repair a couple of weeks back. So I bought an iPhone 5 off a friend who had used it for a couple of months. This was an upgrade for her from Vodafone but she went back to using her old iPhone.. So I (cheekily) cut my sim down to nano size and everything works fine.

I would like to get the phone unlocked, however am I able to do this my sim isn't registered against that imei no? If I call customer services and explain can they unlock it?

Many thanks

Martin
Message 1 of 12 (4,004 Views)
Rank 49: Master III
AnnS

Re: Can I unlock my iPhone 5 using the sim that was originally from my iPhone 4S.

There are plenty of previous threads about unlocking an iphone.  You should have had some search results come up when you started your thread which would have given you the answer.

As the phone was on a contract, only the original owner can complete the form and get the unlock.

Ann
Message 2 of 12 (3,980 Views)
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn

Re: Can I unlock my iPhone 5 using the sim that was originally from my iPhone 4S.

No I'm afraid not. Vodafone will only unlock the phone for the original owner. Your friend will need to request the unlock.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 3 of 12 (3,979 Views)
bronze84

I appreciate there are several threads on this subject already, however I didn't feel any of them answered both parts of my question, hence the new thread.

Ok so I understand that Vodafone won't unlock it for me. Can I use a 3rd party website and pay to get it unlocked even though Vodafone won't do it for me?

Regards
Message 4 of 12 (3,963 Views)
jeffkinn

That is up to you but it usually involves jail breaking and that is potentially a security issue. Afterwards if you upgrade iOS it might re-lock.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 5 of 12 (3,959 Views)
bronze84

This doesn't involve jail breaking or any software. It involves contacting Apple just like Vodafone and updating their database. Only they charge for the privilege
Message 6 of 12 (3,956 Views)
Rank 37: Professor I
grolschuk

As far as I am aware, if it is a VF supplied handset, then Apple will only accept unlock requests from VF

If your friend gave/sold you the phone, then it shouldn't be too hard for them to fill in the online form to request the unlock for you?

Message 7 of 12 (3,953 Views)
jeffkinn

Bronze 84 - please let me see where Apple allows that process as it is contrary to everything I have ever seen, read or heard on this forum, the official Apple discussion forums or anywhere else. If what you say is true I would like to be able to give that advice to other customers.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 8 of 12 (3,943 Views)
bronze84

[ Edited ]

(removed link as per T's&C's)

I called these guys and had a chat. They said it can be done...

Message 9 of 12 (3,933 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

Unfortunately that is not an official Apple unlocking.  As Jeffkinn said, you can only get an official unlock done by going through the network provider who in turn contacts Apple.  I would be very cautious about parting with my money to some random website (all of whom will tell you that they can unlock your handset).

I would advise you do a quick search of the Apple forums and you will find that everyone gets referred back to the network provide to whom the handset is locked.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 10 of 12 (3,929 Views)
jeffkinn

I've seen websites like this before. I asked for something from Apple, not believing that you would be able to supply it. Apple only officially unlocks phones for networks and personally I will continue to advise my fellow customers of the potential risks of using websites like this.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 11 of 12 (3,924 Views)
bronze84

Ok. Well, many thanks for all your advice and input guys :-)
Message 12 of 12 (3,921 Views)