cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Contract is fine - but can I sell the iPhone I got with it?

discotroll
2: Seeker

Hmmm - that doesn't read very well....

Okay, I've no problem at all with my contract - price and minutes/data etc suit me fine, it's just that the iPhone 5s I got at a discounted price is of no real use to me and I'd be much happier putting my sim into my old 4s.

So.... can I simply put my contract sim into the old phone and sell-off the iPhone 5s? It seems a real waste of a phone just sitting around being used for occasional internet access and (*holds hands up in terror*) phone calls.

Thanks for thoughts/advice,

DT

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Yes, you can sell the new handset and use your SIM card in your existing phone.  Do be aware that the iPhone 5S you got is locked to Vodafone.  If you are going to sell it on eBay, make sure you advertise it as locked or you could run into problems with the item not being as described. 

PWIAC

Thanks for the quick reply my friend -

As you say, the hand set would remain locked to Vodafone and would be sold on with this made clear to any buyer.

Thanks again,

DT

drey_p

You're welcome.

The only reason I said that is that there have been a few complaints of people not being told that the phone is locked when they buy it - I don't want for you to run into problems.

As a matter of interest, you can unlock the phone, but it will cost £19.99 to do so. 

PWIAC

Not entirely correct. Unlocks are free for contract customers, but only 1 per minimum term I believe.

Also, it is worth noting that if you run into any problems paying your bill in the future and it results in your contract being terminated Vodafone could very well blacklist the handset too

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Ste_Wilko wrote:

Not entirely correct. Unlocks are free for contract customers, but only 1 per minimum term I believe.

Also, it is worth noting that if you run into any problems paying your bill in the future and it results in your contract being terminated Vodafone could very well blacklist the handset too

That is not quite correct.

Providing the plan is more than 12 months old, it will be free to unlock.  Under 12 months, the charge is £19.99.

If an account remain unpaid, it is the SIM which gets blocked, not the handset.

Only the original owner can ask the the phone to be IMEI blocked and this is always a chance a buyer takes when purchasing a second hand phone.

lozuk1972
I'm in exactly the same boat so I called vodafone. They confirmed this is absolutely fine. I've got the xperia z2 but just can't get used to it and want to go back to the iPhone.

drey_p

@lozuk1972 wrote:
I'm in exactly the same boat so I called vodafone. They confirmed this is absolutely fine. I've got the xperia z2 but just can't get used to it and want to go back to the iPhone.

You can do whatever you want with the phone that you got on contract.  It is yours to keep.  You can also put your SIM in any phone you like and use your minutes, texts and data. 

Whatever phone you decide to use - don't forget to update your insurance!  :smileywink:

PWIAC