cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data usage doubled - how is this happening??

emmaloum5016
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Has anyone else has this problem?<br>I on average have only used 800mb of data on my iphone in August and September and 500-600mb in the months to that<br>but in October it jumped up to 1.6GB and I'm 17 days into this month and used 1.1GB already ... I've not used my phone for anything majorly different so annoying!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

This is an all too common issue with iPhones - they use a heck of a lot of data without you being aware of it. One of the issue is that if WiFi disconnects for even a split second, your phone will connect to mobile date and chew through that even though you are showing as connected to WiFi.

There are a number of things you can do about this.  The first is to turn off mobile data to prvent the handset from connecting to data unless you need it.  Secondly, download a data monitoring app such as Onavo and use this to work out what is using up the data.  Then, you can remove that up or change it's settings so it doesn't sync too often.  In fact, it would be an idea to change all your app settings to decrease how often they update.

If you have Facebook installed, you may want to go into the app and change the settings to prevent it from aut playing videos.  Ever since Facebook enabled this feature, it has been using a lot more data than it did previously.  Also, check to see if you have iCloud is enabled - it is worth disabling it as it can chew through data. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

1 REPLY 1

drey_p

Hi there

This is an all too common issue with iPhones - they use a heck of a lot of data without you being aware of it. One of the issue is that if WiFi disconnects for even a split second, your phone will connect to mobile date and chew through that even though you are showing as connected to WiFi.

There are a number of things you can do about this.  The first is to turn off mobile data to prvent the handset from connecting to data unless you need it.  Secondly, download a data monitoring app such as Onavo and use this to work out what is using up the data.  Then, you can remove that up or change it's settings so it doesn't sync too often.  In fact, it would be an idea to change all your app settings to decrease how often they update.

If you have Facebook installed, you may want to go into the app and change the settings to prevent it from aut playing videos.  Ever since Facebook enabled this feature, it has been using a lot more data than it did previously.  Also, check to see if you have iCloud is enabled - it is worth disabling it as it can chew through data. 

PWIAC