Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Having to toggle 4g switch on iPhone 5s to pick up 3g

xdsolutions
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

As the subject states, I'm frequently having to toggle the 4g switch (or airplane mode switch) to get my 5s to correctly identify the presence of the 3g network instead of gprs. This mostly occurs when reception has been restricted (usually, in my pocket, while I'm sat down, and quite often while I've been driving) or is weak (such as indoors with intermittent signal).  My partners iphone 5, also on vodafone, and used under similar circumstances (other than not being on a 4g contract) doesn't experience this issue.  I've tried leaving the 4g switch off, but the problem still persists.

I'm running the latest version of iOS7 (7.1.1) and the vodafone carrier settings state 16.1.

Help please.

15 REPLIES 15

I think the VF coverage checker is somewhat off!! It states 4g is available in my area..and should have a stable indoor and outdoor connection.. we can barely get gprs or E..rarely 3G and nil 4G..thats both inside and out!!

Could VF please respond as I beleive its a network issue and not our phones..baring in mind one has just been replaced by Apple.. OX183UU postcode

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dwabo81,

I’ve checked the coverage in your area and can see that 3G is patchy and only available outdoors.

4G is available however this is patchy at that postcode.

The coverage maps are computer generated estimates of the coverage in your area. You’ll always need to try the signal in real world conditions, to confirm how it is.

Thanks,

Jenny

I'm having much the same issue with an iPhone 6. Am sitting at my desk now and if i switch on 4G I lose network signal. Switch it off and I have 4 bars plus 3G.

Puzzled why it doesn't switch automatically once it determines it can't get a decent, or any, 4G signal. It's a brand new phone, only had it a couple of days.

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi qmark,

If there’s a weak 4G signal, this will prioritise over a strong 3G signal.

The same happens if you have a weak 3G signal and a strong 2G signal.

Does this only happen at work?

You can also check your 4G coverage on our UK coverage map.

Thanks,

Simon

qmark
1: Seeker
Hi Simon,

I don't doubt it will prioritise the 'faster' signal, what I am saying though is that it struggles to switch from a weak 4G to a strong 3G.

I tried it whilst dropping my son off at a party and it picked up a 4G signal and allowed me to open a few videos on YouTube. It then seemed to switch to a much stronger 3G, so it's clearly intermittent.

Again tho I'm not sure why location would have any baring? If it's a weak 4G (or nonexistent) then the last thing a phone should do is just display 'no network' surely?

Cheers

Mark

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi qmark,

Location would always affect how the service performs.

Please could I have the full postcode for your work to check the local coverage and cell sites?

If you don’t want it showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. Just let us know when you’ve added it.

Thanks,

Simon