Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Having to toggle 4g switch on iPhone 5s to pick up 3g

xdsolutions
2: Seeker

As the subject states, I'm frequently having to toggle the 4g switch (or airplane mode switch) to get my 5s to correctly identify the presence of the 3g network instead of gprs. This mostly occurs when reception has been restricted (usually, in my pocket, while I'm sat down, and quite often while I've been driving) or is weak (such as indoors with intermittent signal).  My partners iphone 5, also on vodafone, and used under similar circumstances (other than not being on a 4g contract) doesn't experience this issue.  I've tried leaving the 4g switch off, but the problem still persists.

I'm running the latest version of iOS7 (7.1.1) and the vodafone carrier settings state 16.1.

Help please.

15 REPLIES 15

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi xdsolutions,

I'd recommend resetting your network settings. You can do this by following the steps below:

• Click on Settings
  • Select General
  • Then Reset 
  • Finally, Reset Network Settings

Your phone will reboot and you'll need to enter Wi-Fi passwords once again, but you should see this improves the network selection.

Thanks,

Matt B

This is something I'd done recently due to the phone constantly searching for something (spinning icon near the battery icon), but I tried this again and I've been monitoring the network selection.  It still isn't on a par with the iphone 5, but it has improved.  I'll keep monitoring the  situation and post back here if things change (for the better or worse).

xdsolutions
This problem still persists. I've tried the reset trick a couple of times now. Is this a faulty handset or an issue with the network?

Hi xdsolutions,

It's certainly beginning to sound like a fault with the iPhone. The 4G option, shouldn't have any effect on the phone's ability to pick up 3G, unless of course, you're already on 4G - in which case it'll then drop down to 3G.

My advice would be to follow our Network troubleshooting guide. This will help rule out any network issues in your area.

If there are none, then you can arrange visit our repair of the iPhone.

Thanks,

Matt B

slime
4: Newbie
Had a very similar issue on O2 with a 5s while they were testing 4g in my area. I did the same reset but no better. It seemed to sort itself out after a while so it feels like a 4g fault rather than an iPhone fault. I now have another (work) iPhone 5s on vodafone (yet to see any 4g) but it's doing a similar thing but not as bad as my personal iPhone 5s was a few weeks back. I reckon vodafone are now testing 4g in SN3 5 too as O2 were a few weeks back!! They share masts after all? So I hope the voda iPhone 5s will sort itself out too in a few weeks (and I hope to see 4g too as well!)

I'm hoping that it's network testing that's causing the problems.  I've had some very strange (and annoying experiences) in the last couple of weeks. 

A trip to london on the train saw the phone behave very well, switching from 4g, 3g, E & gprs and back again as we travelled through countryside. Which was refreshing to see.  Got into London where the 4g was connected, but it took a phone reboot to work - no idea what that happened, but the reboot sorted everthing out and the connection was reliable again.

Back home (ST6 3) and at my other half's place (CW2) random switching persists.  Went the vodafone shop, where the assistant said that is was because of the number of apps I had suspended. And indeed, this seemed to be the case, as he closed the apps, the network came back on.  Went off, confused, but with the phone working - or so I thought.  It still wasn't right.

I've been back to the store this week and they've swapped the sim. This appears to be better, but its not great.  I've had to switch off 4G in the settings to make the 3G pick up reliable 

I'm still no closer to establishing whether this is a fault with the handset or a network issue.

Hi xdsolutions,

It’s great to see that a new SIM has improved things for you.

As you’re still facing issues, it may be network related.

To check this out, take a look here.

Another option is to do a factory reset of your phone.

You can see how to do this here, and don’t forget to back up to iTunes/iCloud first.

Thanks,

Andy

dwabo81
6: Helper
6: Helper

I too have been/still have the same issues as you have stated.

It is an annoyance more than anything... My partner has the iPhone 5C and does not have these issues.  They have stable 3g..when I have none... Connects to Wi-Fi when mine is out of range onthe same network...

I am constantly having to switch airplane mode on/off to get the phone to connect to any sort of 3g service as the phone struggles to run on gprs..As soon as the network is registered, I then get full 3g until it drops and then have to do the same 'fix'

I have had 2 new Sims and I have recently had the phone replaced by Apple..although the phone shows no errors or faults under diagnostics.... However.... I still have ALL the same issues after a replacement handset!!

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dwabo81,

Try switching the SIM with your partner’s phone.

It the issue doesn’t show, then it’s likely an issue with the phone itself.

Make sure you’re on the latest version of iOS and if you are, try a full factory reset.

You can see how to do this here, and don’t forget to back up to iTunes/iCloud first.

Before you restore from the back up, check the signal quality.

If it’s OK, there may be an app that’s affecting it.

You’d need to install each app individually to see if you can identify the culprit.

Thanks,

Andy