Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Iphone 5 Repair - Desperate for some help/guidance

skidshill
2: Seeker

I have an Iphone 5 that is around 18 months old. Its been playing up for around 8 weeks, it keeps powering down and saying that it needs charge, but then after a few attempts will turn back on as usual with a decent amount of battery life. Tried resets etc, after advice from the tech team, but no joy, so I was advised to go into a Vodafone store to send it away to be repaired.

Duely drove down to my local store and they arranged for the phone to be sent away. Being 18 months old the phone was classed as "Fair condition - Minor Scrathes, Marks" as it had a few scratches on the front and back where it has been on my desk. I was advised that this repair would be covered under the extended warrenty that vodafone provide to cover you for the life of your 24 month contract.

A week later (yesterday) I recieve a call saying that the phone has a bent enclosure and cant be repaired unless I pay £190 before they will look at it. As you can imagine not a small amount that I am comfortable paying.

Today I have made 12 calls to Vodafone and been into my local store and spoke to the assistant manager. The information I have received is massively conflicting from a damaged phone to your phone is not under warrenty anymore. All my calls/visits have not concluded my matter and as it stands I am awaiting a call back from a senior member of the customer service team.

How can my phone go from "Fair condition - Minor Scrathes, Marks" to  a bent enclosure whilst in Vodafone's repair service?

Is my phone covered under any kind of warrenty?

How can I get a reasonable resolution and get my phone back to me repaired?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated, I fell that the other avenues I have tried are unlikely to resolve anything

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2

OC

There's two factors in this situation. Technically, you are out of warranty as Apple only provide a 12 month warranty for their handsets, you can however pay for an additional 12 months if you wish. Recently, Vodafone have been offering to repair/replace Apple handsets within a 24 month period provided the fault is deemed as a manufacturer's fault, and there is no damage to the handset (internal & external).

Unfortunately, if your handset has been deemed to have damage it may not be possible to repair the handset free of charge, and you may need to pay the £190 standard charge for the handset to be replaced. With your handset, it seems either the software or battery is faulty, although only a qualified engineer would be able to provide that information.

Hope this sheds some light, and I hope the issue can be resolved without the charge.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi skidshill,

Our engineers will examine each phone when it arrives at our service centre.

If the case is damaged, this may have contributed to the phone fault itself.

Once a phone is said to have had physical damage, it’s no longer covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.

We can look into this for you to see what’s happened, so contact us here.

Alternatively, you can always contact Apple directly for a second opinion.

Thanks,

Andy