Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Iphone 5S not working in USA

ShelleySmart
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there, 

Im writing this post on behalf of my Mum, she is currently on her first holiday in 30 years in NYC and although she has paid for the World Traveller, her phone is not connecting to a network and she is really upset that she is unable to speak to my Dad.

Shes tried turning of her automatic search and connecting to a network provider manually and this does not work, neither does a soft reset or removing the sim.  Vodafone have confirmed that there are no raoming bars and the WT is active on her phone although they could see that roaming is currently disabled.

I am fortunatley able to contact her direct at her hotel as this is a free charge for me but my Dad has to come to my house just to speak with my Mum.  As you can appreciate, my Mum is upset and very frustrated as this should have been sorted before she left.  It may also be worth mentioning that she did not receive a welcome text upon arrival and although she can not contact my Dad, there was a brief period yesterday where she was able to send me a text.  This has now stopped and she has no network signal at all.

Any help to resolve this issue is more than appreciated as my Mum really deserves this holiday.

Thank you

Shelley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Roaming, and using data whilst roaming, are two different things.  Your mum will need roaming switched on as she has signed up to World Travellor which means that for a fixed cost of £5 per day (if she uses her phone, £0 if she doesn't), she can access her voice minutes, text allowance, and data bundle from her UK Voda plan.  There is an option on the phone to enable/disable data whilst roaming which is there to avoid a customer inadvertantly using data whilst abroad and incurring unexpected charges.......but in your mum's case, with World Travellor, she can use her UK plan data as part of the £5 flat world Travellor fee, so she will be able to use the internet as well as calls and texts.   If roaming is switched off on the phone then there will be no services at all outside of the UK.....

If you speak to Voda again, tell them that she has World Travellor service and so roaming should be on.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

Brilliant, thank you so much.  Ive tried calling them but due to an emergency their lines are closed so I shall call again in the morning.

Thanks again

Shelley 

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Customer services will be closed now but you can still chat to someone on Live Chat on the Vodafone website.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks everyone.  Ive spoken to Vodafone and roaming has now been enabled.  Fingers crossed thats it now.  Just waiting on Mum to wake up and i can let her know.  If this resolves the issue then she will be over the moon!   My Mum hasnt stayed away from home in 30 years so not having her phone at hand has really upset her.

Fingers crossed and thank you all again.

Let us know the outcome!!