Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Multiple issues with phone/network

mattduncan
4: Newbie

i have a few gripes with the all singing and all dancing iphone 5....or vodafone,.,.,.

Firstly...if im on unlimited texts, why would you charge me 16p if i send a text message above 160 characters...i had a blackberry and this was never done before, yet apparently this happens now?!

Confuses me as if i send 2 seperate message both 160, you wont charge me, but if i send one at 161 characters...you charge?

Iphone 5 - Not supporting group messages?!... got to use a 3rd party platform like whatsapp...dont see the logic in this. I sent what i thought was a group message to about 25 people, have been charged subsequently for this, as the messages were sent to facebook (still if its sent this way, thought this was data and i have unlimited data) ...below is how i sent the message.

1. Went to Messages and clicked open new message in the corner.

2. Typed the message (42 Characters long)

3. pressed the + sign to select the contacts i wanted in the message (I believe a max of 10)

4.Then i sent the message.

I come on to my unbilled section of my bill a few days later and see that i have messages sent too xxxx.xxxxxx@facebook.com, and have been charged, yet it shows a little data signal on my breakdown of my bill (apparently i have data free and unlimited texts free)

I then check on my phone at the messages sent, and when i select a person, on the message, it has there facebook.com thing highlighted in blue, even though i have a valid and up to date mobile number above it....so its proceeded to send the messages through that not the contact number i have...WHY?!

WIFI issues....this has been an on going thing with this phone and since the 6.0.2 update....which was suppose to fix wifi issues, its got worse. Im sat on my laptop, wifi and working perfectly fine, yet i can log on to twitter/facebook or even the internet on my iphone 5 and it not do anything, ive tried it at different places on wifi and same thing happens. Have to keep turning it off and using the 3g to load anything...pointless.

Someone please get back to me...other than launching the phone at a wall, i feel like launching it right back at vodafone

7 REPLIES 7

mattduncan
4: Newbie

Oh and another issue, since the new update, the battery is worse than ever, used 8% in 30 minutes, as if i just watched it drain right out of it. all i did was go onto twitter, look at 6 tweets and write my own... put my phone down, come back to it, replied to my tweet and battery down by 8%. No other apps running in the background though, i am concious enough to close them after i use them.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mattduncan,

The charge of 16p would appear to be for a MMS. Some phones, once the 160 character limit is reached on a text message, will then automatically change the message to a MMS which would explain the charge you’ve received.

If the iPhone 5 doesn’t support group messages, then this would be a restriction of iOS itself and nothing that we’d have any control over.

From what you’ve said regarding your contacts, how are you sending the messages? If you’re sending them via text, email or iMessage then you shouldn’t be charged. However, if you’re subscribed to receive Facebook notifications, then this may explain the charges you’re seeing.

When you did the update to the latest iOS, did you notice an immediate change to WiFi or is it something more recent? Have you tried a full restore of your phone to see that solves the issue for you? It may also help with the battery drain you’ve mentioned.

Thanks

Andrew

So ive been charged for a MMS when i only went on to sms. Strange. This is an Iphone 5 i have, and from my understanding it did it because the phone contacts were linked to facebook, but surely it shouldnt auto use the facebook email rather than the contact number i have stored??

I sent all the messages, as far as i was aware via SMS/imessage, no other service, just SMS/imessage. and ive never subscribed to Facebook Notifications via sms because i was aware of the charges involved.

It wasnt straight away, was like the day after, and still seems to be somewhat shoddy compared to pre-update

Hi mattduncan,

If you have MMS turned on on your phone then as soon as the 160 character text limit is reached, the phone will convert it to a MMS message.

Do you have Facebook contact integration turned on? If so, can you turn it off and let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Sorry for the delayed reply, i have now NOT got Facebook integrated, which is annoying because it was handy having this like that for Birthday notifications in the calendar...

Seems daft that faceable contacts would supersedes a mobile number stored in my contacts

Dont under stand why the phone auto changes from sms to mms, regardless of mms being set up..

emilyjpr
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Ihave a samsung s3 I was given free internet to use but it wwon't let me connect to anything or let me use the internet?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please try the steps in our network troubleshooting thread.

If you're still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Jenny